Determine its speed after it has slid a distance of 3.00m down the ramp.

• Thread starter goracheski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp Speed
In summary, the conversation is about determining the speed of a 2.00kg mass sliding down a frictionless inclined plane that is 30 degrees from the horizontal. The person asking the question is using the Laws of Conservation of Energy and the equations for kinetic and potential energy to solve the problem but is getting an incorrect answer. The expert suggests using the theorem of work and kinetic energy, and after correcting a mistake in using SOH and CAH, the correct answer of 5.4 m/s is obtained.
goracheski

Homework Statement

A 2.00kg mass starts from rest and slides down a frictionless inclined plane that makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. Determine its speed after it has slid a distance of 3.00m down the ramp.

Homework Equations

I am leaning about Laws of Conservation of Energy
∑Ek=∑Ep
Ek=(1/2)mv2
Ep=mgh
maybe SOH CAH TOA to get the height

The Attempt at a Solution

using a height of 2.5980, from 3cos(30), i put that into my equation but got 7.1396 m/s
when i know the answer is 5.4 m/s?¿¿

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey!

You said that you're learning about conservation on Energy,
Then i think it could be usefull the theorem of work and kinect energy.
It simply said that the sum of works that acts on a particle is equal to the change in kinect energy.
When you dou a free body diagram you realize that the only force doing work is the horizontal component of weight,( because the normal force is perpendicular to displacement then work is 0) then you know

mgsin30*3(displacement)=1/2mv^2
you solve for v, and you get 5,4 m/s

Tell me if you already learn the theorem, if your not, there's another way to solve the problem.

goracheski said:

Homework Statement

A 2.00kg mass starts from rest and slides down a frictionless inclined plane that makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. Determine its speed after it has slid a distance of 3.00m down the ramp.

Homework Equations

I am leaning about Laws of Conservation of Energy
∑Ek=∑Ep
Ek=(1/2)mv2
Ep=mgh
maybe SOH CAH TOA to get the height

The Attempt at a Solution

using a height of 2.5980, from 3cos(30), i put that into my equation but got 7.1396 m/s
when i know the answer is 5.4 m/s?¿¿
You've got the right idea, but take a closer look at how you determined the value for h.

Thank you gneill I realized I used CAH instead of SOH :S

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the relevant equations and concepts, but there may be an error in your calculations. Here is how I would approach this problem:

First, let's draw a diagram to visualize the situation:

[Insert diagram here]

We can see that the mass starts from rest at the top of the ramp and slides down to a height of 2.5980m, as you correctly calculated. We can use this height to find the potential energy at the top of the ramp:

Ep = mgh
= (2.00kg)(9.8m/s^2)(2.5980m)
= 50.96J

Next, we can use the Law of Conservation of Energy to find the kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp:

∑Ek = ∑Ep
(1/2)mv^2 = mgh
(1/2)(2.00kg)v^2 = (2.00kg)(9.8m/s^2)(2.5980m)
v^2 = 50.96m^2/s^2
v = √(50.96m^2/s^2)
v = 7.1396m/s

This is the speed of the mass at the bottom of the ramp. However, we are asked to find the speed after it has slid a distance of 3.00m. In order to do this, we need to use the equation for the distance traveled on an inclined plane:

d = h/sinθ
= 2.5980m/sin(30)
= 2.5980m/0.5
= 5.196m

This tells us that the mass has traveled a distance of 5.196m along the ramp. We can now use this distance to find the speed at the bottom of the ramp:

∑Ek = ∑Ep
(1/2)mv^2 = mgh
(1/2)(2.00kg)v^2 = (2.00kg)(9.8m/s^2)(5.196m)
v^2 = 101.568m^2/s^2
v = √(101.568m^2/s^2)
v = 10.078m/s

This is the speed of the mass at the bottom of the ramp after

FAQ: Determine its speed after it has slid a distance of 3.00m down the ramp.

1. What is the initial velocity of the object sliding down the ramp?

The initial velocity of the object sliding down the ramp is zero, as it starts from rest.

2. How do you calculate the final velocity of the object after it has slid 3.00m down the ramp?

The final velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the ramp (3.00m).

3. Is the final velocity affected by the mass of the object?

No, the final velocity is not affected by the mass of the object. The formula for final velocity only takes into account the height of the ramp and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can you determine the speed of the object at any point during its slide down the ramp?

Yes, the speed of the object at any point during its slide down the ramp can be determined by using the formula v = √(2gh), where h is the distance from the starting point to the desired point along the ramp.

5. How does the length of the ramp affect the speed of the object?

The length of the ramp does not affect the speed of the object. The speed is only affected by the height of the ramp and the acceleration due to gravity, as shown by the formula v = √(2gh).