Determine Kinetic Energy of Satellite

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of kinetic energy for a satellite in a circular orbit 3973 miles above the Earth's surface. The weight of the satellite is given as 870 pounds, and its orbital speed is 12,500 miles per hour. After attempting to solve the problem using the weight and acceleration of gravity at that altitude, it is determined that the weight is actually the mass of the satellite. The correct calculation for kinetic energy is given as 4.54x10^9 foot-pounds. The problem statement is deemed confusing due to the lack of clarity on whether the weight is at the Earth's surface or at the altitude.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An 870-lb satellite is placed in a circular orbit 3973 mi above the surface of the earth. At this elevation the acceleration of gravity is 8.03 ft/s2. Determine the kinetic energy of the satellite, knowing that its orbital speed is 12,500 mi/h.

Homework Equations

KE=(1/2)mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

W=870-lb
g=8.03ft/s2
h=(3973mi)*(5280ft/1mi)=2.10e7ft
v=(12,500mi/hr)*(5280ft/1mi)*(1hr/3600s)=1.83e4ft/s

KE=(1/2)mv2=(1/2)(W/g)(v2)
KE=(1/2)*(870/8.03)*(1.83e4)2=1.8e10ft-lb

The book's answer is 4.54e9ft-lb.

Where did I go wrong in calculating the satellite's KE?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think 870 lb is the mass of the satellite, and not its weight at an altitude of 3973 miles.

willem2 said:
I think 870 lb is the mass of the satellite, and not its weight at an altitude of 3973 miles.

If so, then the equation for KE would be:

KE=(1/2)mv2
KE=(1/2)*(870)*(1.83e4)2=1.46e11ft-lb

I'm pretty sure 870lb is the weight, because even if it were the mass, the above solution still doesn't match the correct answer.

I can't help but think that they gave the altitude for some reason... Could that play into the answer?

m = W/g isn't valid when W has pound-force as units.
The force that accelerates 1 pound with 1 ft/sec^2 is called a poundal and about (1/32) pound-force.
I'd convert the whole thing in SI units.

Right, so the answer is:

KE=(1/2)mv2=1/2(W/g)v2=(1/2)(870/32.2)(18333)2=4.54x109ft·lb.

The problem statement is confusing because it doesn't state the weight 870lb as being the weight on the Earth's surface or the weight at the altitude.

So the problem was giving a bunch of superfluous data (altitude, ag at that altitude). Perfecto... Thanks.

FAQ: Determine Kinetic Energy of Satellite

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its stated velocity.

How do you determine the kinetic energy of a satellite?

The kinetic energy of a satellite can be determined using the formula: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the satellite and v is its velocity.

What are the units of kinetic energy?

The units of kinetic energy are joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI).

How does the kinetic energy of a satellite affect its orbit?

The kinetic energy of a satellite is directly related to its velocity. As the kinetic energy increases, the velocity of the satellite also increases. This can affect the orbit of the satellite, causing it to either move into a higher orbit or experience a change in its trajectory.

Can the kinetic energy of a satellite be changed?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a satellite can be changed by altering its velocity. This can be achieved by either increasing or decreasing the thrust of the satellite's engines or by using other external forces such as gravity assists or atmospheric drag.

Back