Determine normal force and friction of a toboggan with children

In summary, the parent exerts a normal force of 58N on the toboggan and the coefficient of friction is Facos18.
thomasrules
I've tried it but I got stuck at the part to find the coefficient of friction.

A parent pulls a toboggan with three children at a constant velocity for 38m along a horizontal trail. The total mass of the children and the toboggan is 66kg. The force the parent exerts is 58N[18 above the horizontal]

a)Determine the magnitude of the norml force and the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far? What does constant velocity tell you?

thomasrules said:
I've tried it but I got stuck at the part to find the coefficient of friction.

A parent pulls a toboggan with three children at a constant velocity for 38m along a horizontal trail. The total mass of the children and the toboggan is 66kg. The force the parent exerts is 58N[18 above the horizontal]

a)Determine the magnitude of the norml force and the coefficient of kinetic friction.
The horizontal component of the pulling force balances the friction force.

So:
[tex]F_{friction} = \mu_kF_N = 58Ncos(18)[/tex]

All you have to do is work out the normal force. Be careful. There are two components to the parent's pulling force. The vertical component reduces the normal force.

AM

Is FRICTION EQUAL TO WORK Facos18 because net f=0?

and the normal force would be fg=fn=mg?

thomasrules said:
Is FRICTION EQUAL TO WORK Facos18 because net f=0?

and the normal force would be fg=fn=mg?
No. See my previous post.

(1)[tex]F_N = mg - F_{pull}sin(\theta)[/tex]

(2)[tex]\mu_kF_N = F_{pull}cos(\theta)[/tex]

Substitute [itex]F_N[/itex] from (1) into (2) to get the coefficient of friction.

AM

but why wouldn't fn=fg...doesn't make sense

thomasrules said:
but why wouldn't fn=fg...doesn't make sense
There is an upward lift force due to the angle at which the parent is pulling the toboggan. This lift reduces the downward mg force.

AM

FAQ: Determine normal force and friction of a toboggan with children

1. What is normal force and why is it important to determine on a toboggan?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. In the case of a toboggan, it is the force exerted by the ground on the toboggan. It is important to determine because it helps us understand the dynamics of how the toboggan will move and how much weight it can support.

2. How is normal force calculated on a toboggan?

Normal force can be calculated using the formula FN = mgcosθ, where m is the mass of the toboggan, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the toboggan with respect to the ground.

3. What is friction and how does it affect the movement of a toboggan?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object. In the case of a toboggan, friction is the force that acts against the direction of motion and slows it down. The amount of friction on a toboggan depends on factors such as the type of surface it is sliding on, the weight of the toboggan, and the speed at which it is moving.

4. How is friction calculated on a toboggan?

Friction can be calculated using the formula Ff = μFN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and FN is the normal force. The coefficient of friction varies depending on the materials in contact and can be determined experimentally.

5. How do the number of children on a toboggan affect the normal force and friction?

The number of children on a toboggan will increase the weight of the toboggan, thus increasing the normal force and friction. This will make it more difficult for the toboggan to slide and may require more force to overcome the increased friction. It is important to consider the weight of the children and the toboggan when determining the normal force and friction for safe tobogganing.

Back