Determine normal stresses for pure bending moments

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining normal stresses using the flexure formula. The person is having trouble figuring out which moment to take for each stress and needs help finding σx, σy, and σz at specific points in a given question. The question also involves determining principle planes and principle stress. The expert advises visualizing the behavior and correctly identifying stress type in a simple case and suggests another approach involving adding and cancelling forces to determine the stresses at the given points.
sgvaibhav

Homework Statement

Hi

I am having tough time figuring out how to determine normal stresses σx, σy, σz using the flexure formula.

All that confuses me is which moment to take for which σ. My for σx or Mz for σx and so on..

I will post an example question.

In the question below, find the stresses σx, σy, σz at point H and point K

Homework Equations

σ=Mc/I + P/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The actual question is very big and requires determining principles planes, principle stress and stresses in different orientation to be found out which i know how to do as well.
I can proceed with the question only if i can determine the stresses σx, σy, σz, which is were i am getting stuck in all such types of questions.

Attachments

• question2.png
    question2.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine CD being made of cheese or soft rubber. Can you see that the point C will initially deflect parallel to the x axis, and be bending in the xz plane, (raised to the level that contains C and D) What normal stresses due to bending in CD will that give rise to? Can you see that the thinner edge CD closest to the viewer will go into compression, and the far side into tension. Which of the the three choices of stress do you think that causes?

My first answer was to check that you can visualise the behaviour and correctly identify the stress type in a simple case. H and K are more complicated. One approach is to add another 10 kN force at A in the +x direction (in other words, parallel to the existing force) and then cancel its effect by adding a 10 kN force at A in the -x direction. You then have three forces one of which is the 10 at A in the +x direction and the other two forming a turning moment about the y axis. You can then add the effects of these separate actions. Does that help?

Related to Determine normal stresses for pure bending moments

1. What is pure bending?

Pure bending is a type of bending that occurs when a beam or other structural member is subjected to a bending moment, but no shear forces. This means that the load is applied in a way that causes the top and bottom of the beam to be in tension and compression, respectively.

2. What are normal stresses?

Normal stresses are the stresses that act perpendicular to the cross-sectional area of a material. In pure bending, normal stresses are caused by the tension and compression forces on the top and bottom of the beam as it bends.

3. How do you determine normal stresses for pure bending moments?

To determine normal stresses for pure bending moments, you can use the formula: σ = My/I, where σ is the normal stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-sectional area of the beam. This formula assumes that the beam is homogeneous and has a constant cross-sectional area.

4. What is the neutral axis in pure bending?

The neutral axis is an imaginary line that runs through the center of the cross-sectional area of a beam in pure bending. This axis is where the material experiences no stress and does not change in length as the beam bends.

5. How do normal stresses affect the strength of a beam in pure bending?

In pure bending, normal stresses can cause the material of a beam to experience tension or compression, which can affect its strength. If the stresses exceed the yield strength of the material, it can cause the beam to fail. It is important to consider these stresses in the design of a beam to ensure it can withstand the applied bending moment.