Determine pendulum's maximum angular displacement

In summary, a simple pendulum with a length of 1.23 m and a mass of 6.64 kg was given an initial speed of 1.96 m/s at its equilibrium position. The period of the pendulum, assuming simple harmonic motion, was determined. The total energy and maximum angular displacement were also calculated, using the small angle approximation. The pendulum's bob was found to be at a height h above the bottom of its arc, and the pendulum shaft was used as the hypotenuse of a right triangle to find the altitude and apex angle.
Sheneron
[SOLVED] Simple Pendulum

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum with a length of 1.23 m and a mass of 6.64 kg is given an initial speed of 1.96 m/s at its equilibrium position.
(a) Assuming it undergoes simple harmonic motion, determine its period.
(b) Determine its total energy.
(c) Determine its maximum angular displacement. (For large v, and/or small l, the small angle approximation may not be good enough here.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved up to part c), and I can't figure out how to set it up. I thought at first it was
.5mv^2 = mgh and then solving for h, but once I get h I am not sure what to do. Can someone help me get this set up? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sheneron said:
I thought at first it was
.5mv^2 = mgh and then solving for h, but once I get h I am not sure what to do. Can someone help me get this set up? Thanks.

That is what you want to do. So the pendulum bob is now at a height h (what is the value?) above the bottom of the pendulum's arc. Draw a picture of the pendulum tilted off the vertical so that the length of the pendulum is 1.23 m and the bob is at a height h from the lowest point of the swing. The pendulum shaft is now the hypotenuse of a right triangle. What must the altitude of that triangle be? From that, how do you find the apex angle of that triangle?

Excellent, made sense. Thanks for the help

Related to Determine pendulum's maximum angular displacement

1. What is a pendulum's maximum angular displacement?

The maximum angular displacement of a pendulum is the farthest angle it swings away from its resting point. It is also known as the amplitude of the pendulum's motion.

2. How is the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum determined?

The maximum angular displacement of a pendulum can be determined by measuring the angle between the pendulum's resting point and its farthest point of swing using a protractor or other measuring tool.

3. What factors affect a pendulum's maximum angular displacement?

The length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the force of gravity all affect the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum. A longer pendulum will have a greater maximum angular displacement, while a heavier pendulum bob or a stronger gravitational force will decrease the maximum angular displacement.

4. Why is the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum important?

The maximum angular displacement of a pendulum is important because it determines the period of the pendulum's oscillation. This is a crucial aspect in understanding the behavior and characteristics of pendulums, which are used in many scientific and technological applications.

5. Does the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum change over time?

In an ideal scenario, the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum will remain constant over time. However, factors such as air resistance and friction can cause the amplitude of the pendulum's motion to decrease gradually over time. This is known as damping, and it can affect the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum.