Determine the absolute Velocity and Acceleration of Particle A

In summary, a disc is rolling without slipping on a horizontal surface and at a specific instant, it has a known velocity and acceleration. A particle on the disc has a known speed and rate of change of speed relative to the disc. To find the absolute velocity and acceleration of the particle, equations for relative velocity and acceleration can be used, along with the known angular velocity of the disc. The centripetal acceleration must also be taken into account.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The disk rolls without slipping on the horizontal surface, and at the instant represented, the center O has the velocity vO = 2.2 m/s and acceleration aO = 5.5 m/s2 with directions shown in the figure. For this instant, the particle A has the indicated speed u = 3.2 m/s and time rate of change of speed = 6.6 m/s2, both relative to the disk with directions shown in the figure. Determine the absolute velocity vA and acceleration aA of particle A.

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations

VA = VO + wXr + Vrel

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly confused as to how to start this question. I'm not given the angular velocity so initially I tried to solve for it.

v = wXr

I know that the velocity at point O is -2.2i but how should I determine r? Or should I use the velocity at A instead?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• dyn 5.162.png
    dyn 5.162.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,459
Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the particle for the moment. You have a disc of known radius rolling at known linear speed...

So, you're saying that the angular velocity, w, is;

v = wXr

w = v/r

w = 2.2/0.39

w = 5.641 CCW

Right?

After this part I'm fairly certain that I need to use:

VA = VO + wXr + vrel

Which I think should give me:

VA = -2.2i + (5.641k)X(0.3j) + 1i

vA = -2.8923 i

But it says this is not correct. I'm thinking that my mistake is with the vrel, how should I interpret this term, because I thought it was 1 because part A is traveling faster in the x direction by 1i. Am I mistaken?

Northbysouth said:
I'm thinking that my mistake is with the vrel, how should I interpret this term, because I thought it was 1 because part A is traveling faster in the x direction by 1i. Am I mistaken?
vrel is given as 3.2 m/s to the right.

I've managed to get VA = -0.6923i + 0j

But I'm stuck on aA

I think I need to use the equation:

aA = aO + αXr + wXwXr + 2wXvrel + arel

I found α with

α = a/r

α = 5.5/0.3

α = -14.1k

aA = 5.5i + (-14.1k)X(0.3j) + (5.641k)X[(5.641k)X(0.3j)] + 2(5.641k)X(3.2i) - 6.6i

aA = 3.13i + 23.69j

I know the j part is incorrect but I don't know about the i part. I don't understand where I'm going wrong. Am I misinterpreting the arel?

My i component is correct at 3.13i and I finally managed to get the j component but it doesn't make sense.

the values for my j component are:

<5.641k>X[<5.641k>X<0.3k>] + 2<5.641k>X<3.2i> - 3.22/0.3

= -7.57719 j which is correct

I can see where the first two terms come from in the equation I gave above, but where does the 3.22/0.3 come from?

Northbysouth said:
I can see where the first two terms come from in the equation I gave above, but where does the 3.22/0.3 come from?
That's the centripetal acceleration from the fact that it is moving at 3.2m/s relative to the disc but constrained to move in an arc radius .3m relative to the disc centre.

Related to Determine the absolute Velocity and Acceleration of Particle A

1. What is absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the measurement of an object's speed and direction in relation to a fixed point in space. It is independent of any external factors, such as the movement of other objects or the observer's frame of reference.

2. How is absolute velocity determined?

Absolute velocity can be determined by measuring the displacement of an object over a specific period of time and calculating its change in position. This can be done using various methods, such as radar, GPS, or by analyzing the object's motion through a video recording.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining absolute velocity?

The accuracy of determining absolute velocity can be affected by external factors such as wind, air resistance, or the object's own acceleration. The method used to measure velocity can also impact accuracy, as well as the precision of the measuring equipment.

4. What is absolute acceleration?

Absolute acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. How is absolute acceleration calculated?

Absolute acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. The resulting unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).