Determine the Acceleration of Collar B as a result of Collar A

• Thread starter Northbysouth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, this conversation was about determining the acceleration of collar B when collar A is given a constant upward velocity. The distance x from the base of the support to B was found to be 6.64529m using the Pythagorean theorem. The derivative was taken twice to solve for x", which was found to be -0.9057. However, there may have been a mistake in the calculation as the answer was marked incorrect.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Collars A and B slide along the fixed right-angle rods and are connected by a cord of length L = 7 m. Determine the acceleration of collar B when y = 2.2 m if collar A is given a constant upward velocity vA = 2.66 m/s. The acceleration of B is positive if to the right, negative if to the left.

I have attached an image

Homework Equations

x2+y2 = l2

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

I found the distance x, from the base of the support to B to be 6.64529 m

I took the derivative of the Pythagorean to get:

2xx' + 2yy' = 0

Then I took the derivative again:

2x'x' + 2xx" + 2y'2 + 2yy"

Solving for x" = -x'2 - y'2 -yy"/x

x" = -(-yy'/x)2 - y'2/x

x" = -0.9057

But it says it's wrong. Where is my mistake?

Attachments

• dyn 2.221.png
    dyn 2.221.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,547
Physics news on Phys.org
Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

Collars A and B slide along the fixed right-angle rods and are connected by a cord of length L = 7 m. Determine the acceleration of collar B when y = 2.2 m if collar A is given a constant upward velocity vA = 2.66 m/s. The acceleration of B is positive if to the right, negative if to the left.

I have attached an image

Homework Equations

x2+y2 = l2

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

I found the distance x, from the base of the support to B to be 6.64529 m

I took the derivative of the Pythagorean to get:

2xx' + 2yy' = 0

Then I took the derivative again:

2x'x' + 2xx" + 2y'2 + 2yy"

(I'm assuming you are using the prime to mean differentiation with respect to time.)

I'm with you to here, although, for this problem, y'' = 0 .

Solving for x" = -x'2 - y'2 -yy"/x
This should be
x'' = (-x'2 - y'2 - yy'')/x

  = (-x'2 - y'2)/x​

x" = -(-yy'/x)2 - y'2/x

x" = -0.9057

But it says it's wrong. Where is my mistake?
attachment.php?attachmentid=55404&d=1360110757.png

FAQ: Determine the Acceleration of Collar B as a result of Collar A

1. What is the definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took to change.

2. How can I determine the acceleration of Collar B?

The acceleration of Collar B can be determined by measuring its change in velocity over a specific time period. This can be done using a variety of tools, such as a motion sensor or a video analysis software.

3. How is Collar A affecting the acceleration of Collar B?

Collar A can affect the acceleration of Collar B by exerting a force on it. Depending on the direction and magnitude of the force, it can either increase or decrease the acceleration of Collar B.

4. What factors can influence the acceleration of Collar B?

The acceleration of Collar B can be influenced by factors such as the mass of the object, the force applied to it, and the presence of friction or other external forces.

5. How can I use the acceleration of Collar B to predict its future motion?

The acceleration of Collar B can be used to calculate its future motion using the equations of motion. These equations take into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and time to predict the final velocity and displacement of the object.

Back