Determine the amount of energy transfer by work in btu

In summary, the conversation discusses a closed system of air undergoing a polytropic process from an initial state to a final state. The goal is to determine the amount of energy transfer by work for the process. The solution involves using the relationship between pressure and volume, and solving for n. The correct value for n is positive, but the person asking the question initially obtained a negative value. The correct solution results in 725 Btu of energy transfer.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

A closed system consisting of 14.5 lb of air undergoes a polytropic process from p1 = 80 lbf/in2, v1 = 4 ft3/lb to a final state where p2= 20 lbf/in2, v2 = 11 ft3/lb. Determine the amount of energy transfer by work, in Btu, for the process

Homework Equations

W = ∫v1v2p dv = ∫v1v2 c/vn dv

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the relationship p1v1n = p2vn2

I solved for n with:

n = ln(p2/p1)/ln(v2/v1) which gives me

n = -1.3704 but other people I've spoken to have gotten +1.3704 which, when used in:

W = p2v2 - p1v1/(1-n)

gives me 563714.9 lbf-ft, which then gives me 725 Btu when converted to Btu.

Why do I get -1.3704 instead of a positive?

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not solve for n correctly. It's
n = ln(p1/p2)/ln(V1/V2) > 0.

Related to Determine the amount of energy transfer by work in btu

What is energy transfer by work and why is it important?

Energy transfer by work refers to the process of converting one form of energy into another through the application of force. This is important because it allows us to understand and quantify how energy is used and transformed in various systems.

What is the unit of measurement for energy transfer by work?

The unit of measurement for energy transfer by work is the British Thermal Unit (BTU). This is a unit of energy commonly used in the United States to measure the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.

How is the amount of energy transfer by work calculated?

The amount of energy transfer by work can be calculated using the formula W = F x d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. This formula applies to both mechanical and non-mechanical forms of work.

What factors affect the amount of energy transfer by work?

The amount of energy transfer by work can be affected by various factors such as the magnitude and direction of the force applied, the distance over which the force is applied, and the type of energy being converted. Other external factors such as friction and resistance can also impact the amount of energy transfer by work.

How is energy transfer by work used in real-world applications?

Energy transfer by work is used in many real-world applications, such as in the generation of electricity, the operation of machines and vehicles, and in various industrial processes. It is also an important concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and environmental science.