Determine the average force that the water exerts on the diver

In summary, the conversation discusses a 57.0 kg person jumping from a 11.0 m high tower into water, neglecting air resistance. The person comes to rest 3.00 m under the surface of the water and the goal is to determine the average force exerted by the water, which is nonconservative. The equation mgh=Fd is used, with d=3m, to calculate the force, but initially the height used was incorrect. After adjusting for the total height of the fall (11+3)m, the correct answer of 2048.2 N is obtained.
pdubb
A 57.0 kg person jumps from rest off a 11.0 m high tower straight down into the water. Neglect air resistance during the descent. She comes to rest 3.00 m under the surface of the water. Determine the average force that the water exerts on the diver. This force is nonconservative.

i know to use mgh=Fd... i think... but i don't know what distance or height to use or when you are supposed to incorporate the 3.00 m

any help would be apprectiated..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah you're right, mgh = Fd

The distance that the force from the water acts through is 3m, so distance d = 3m.
Stick that into the equation and you are done :D

when i do mgh=fd...

(57)(9.8)(11)=f(3)
i get 2048.2 N, but its incorrect. what am i doing wrong?

The height dropped in the fall isn't 11m, it is (11+3)m. Does it work now?

yes, it worked!
thanks so much :)

FAQ: Determine the average force that the water exerts on the diver

1. What is the formula for calculating the average force of water on a diver?

The formula for calculating the average force of water on a diver is F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the water, and a is the acceleration of the water. This formula is known as Newton's second law of motion.

2. How do you determine the mass of the water in this calculation?

The mass of the water can be determined by measuring the volume of the water and multiplying it by the density of water, which is approximately 1 gram per cubic centimeter.

3. What factors can affect the average force of water on a diver?

The average force of water on a diver can be affected by various factors such as the depth of the water, the velocity of the water, the surface area of the diver, and the body position of the diver.

4. How is the acceleration of the water determined in this calculation?

The acceleration of the water can be determined by dividing the change in velocity by the time taken for the change to occur. This can be measured using specialized equipment such as a Doppler flow meter.

5. Why is it important to calculate the average force of water on a diver?

Calculating the average force of water on a diver is important in understanding the impact and stress that the diver's body experiences while swimming or diving. It can also be used to ensure the safety and effectiveness of equipment designed for divers.