Determine the Average Rate of Change

In summary, the average rate of change of the function y = 2cos(x - $\pi$/3) + 1 for the interval $\pi$/3 $\le$ x $\le$ $\pi$/2 is approximately -0.511745261674736. The initial calculation was incorrect, but after graphing the function and the resulting secant line, the error was discovered and corrected.
eleventhxhour
Determine the average rate if change of the function y = 2cos(x - $\pi$/3) + 1 for the interval $\pi$/3 $\le$ x $\le$ $\pi$/2

I tried finding the exact values of the two (0 and 0.5) and subbing them into the AROC equation but I keep getting the wrong answer (1.4)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}=\frac{y\left(\dfrac{\pi}{2}\right)-y\left(\dfrac{\pi}{3}\right)}{\dfrac{\pi}{2}-\dfrac{\pi}{3}}=\frac{\left(2\cos\left(\dfrac{\pi}{6}\right)+1\right)-\left(2\cos\left(0\right)+1\right)}{\dfrac{\pi}{6}}=\frac{6\left(\sqrt{3}-1\right)}{\pi}\approx1.39811405542801\)

MarkFL said:
We find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}=\frac{y\left(\dfrac{\pi}{2}\right)-y\left(\dfrac{\pi}{3}\right)}{\dfrac{\pi}{2}-\dfrac{\pi}{3}}=\frac{\left(2\cos\left(\dfrac{\pi}{6}\right)+1\right)-\left(2\cos\left(0\right)+1\right)}{\dfrac{\pi}{6}}=\frac{6\left(\sqrt{3}-1\right)}{\pi}\approx1.39811405542801\)

Okay, that's what I got. The textbook has it as -0.5157 so I guess it's just wrong?

We both made an error...it should be:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}=\frac{6\left(\sqrt{3}-2\right)}{\pi}\approx-0.511745261674736\)

I discovered my error when graphing the function and the resulting secant line:

View attachment 3547

Attachments

• aroc.png
    aroc.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 53

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the units of measurement for both the function and the interval. In this case, the function y represents a unitless quantity, while the interval x is measured in radians. This is important to note when calculating the average rate of change.

To determine the average rate of change, we can use the formula: AROC = (f(b) - f(a)) / (b - a), where f(b) and f(a) represent the values of the function at the upper and lower bounds of the interval, respectively.

In this case, we have f(b) = 2cos(π/2 - π/3) + 1 = 1 and f(a) = 2cos(π/3 - π/3) + 1 = 2. The upper bound of our interval is π/2 and the lower bound is π/3. Substituting these values into the AROC formula, we get:

AROC = (1 - 2) / (π/2 - π/3) = -1 / π/6 = -6/π

Therefore, the average rate of change for the given function and interval is -6/π units per radian. This means that for every radian increase in the input variable x, the output variable y decreases by an average of 6/π units.

It is important to carefully check the calculations and units to ensure the correct answer is obtained. If you continue to get a different answer, I would recommend double-checking the values used and the order of operations. Alternatively, you could also try using a graphing calculator to plot the function and visually determine the slope of the line between the two points.

Related to Determine the Average Rate of Change

1. What is the definition of Average Rate of Change?

The average rate of change is a mathematical concept that measures the average rate at which a function changes over a defined interval. It is calculated by finding the difference between the function's output at two points and dividing it by the difference between the corresponding inputs.

2. How is Average Rate of Change different from Instantaneous Rate of Change?

Average rate of change measures the overall change of a function over a specific interval, while instantaneous rate of change measures the rate of change of a function at a specific point. In other words, average rate of change gives a general overview of the function's behavior, whereas instantaneous rate of change gives a more precise measurement at a single point.

3. What is the formula for calculating Average Rate of Change?

The formula for Average Rate of Change is: (f(b) - f(a)) / (b - a), where f(b) and f(a) are the outputs of the function at points b and a, respectively, and b and a are the corresponding inputs.

4. How is Average Rate of Change used in real life?

Average rate of change is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to analyze and understand changes in a system. For example, it can be used to calculate the average speed of a moving object or the average rate of production in a factory.

5. Can Average Rate of Change be negative?

Yes, Average Rate of Change can be negative. A negative value indicates that the function is decreasing over the defined interval, while a positive value indicates that the function is increasing. A zero value means that the function is not changing over the interval.