Determine the compression of the spring

In summary: So now we know how much the spring will be compressed when it imparts the needed KE to the probe. But we also need to know when that compression force is applied, the condition that it is equal to the probe's mass times its acceleration. You'll want to set that condition equal to the force constant times the compression distance. Solve for the unknown in that equation.In summary, Russian aviator Vsevolod Mikhailovich Abramovich invented the Abramovich Flyer and became obsessed with deep space travel. To launch a 90kg probe into deep space, a minimum speed of 11183.1346 m/s is required. The compression of the spring, with a spring constant of 5.50×
Westin

Homework Statement

Russian aviator Vsevolod Mikhailovich Abramovich invented the Abramovich Flyer based on the design of the Wright brothers' first plane. After this first success, Abramovich became obsessed with deep space travel designing a spring based launcher to fire a probe of mass 90kg from Earth (mass 6.00×10^24kg, radius 6.40×10^6m) into deep space.

Determine the minimum speed to launch this probe into deep space such that it never returns.

vesc= 11183.1346 m/s

Determine the compression of the spring, having spring constant 5.50×105N[PLAIN]https://s3.lite.msu.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmmi10/alpha/144/char3D.pngm, needed to launch this probe using Abramovich's design.

s=___________________

Homework Equations

vesc=sqrt(2GM/R)

F⃗ spring=−kŝ

Us=∫(dUs/ds)ds=∫ksds=1/2ks^2−Es[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

First part I just plugged it into the V escape equation.

Second part attempt: 5.50×10^5N[PLAIN]https://s3.lite.msu.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmmi10/alpha/144/char3D.pngm * 6.40×10^6m = 3.52E12 Newtons

3.52E12 =

U = mc^2
U = 6E24*(3E8)^2 = 5.41E41

Integrate (1/2)(5.50×10^5N[PLAIN]https://s3.lite.msu.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmmi10/alpha/144/char3D.pngm )^2 - 5.41E41

Maybe use Youngs Module to find compression?

I think I'm somewhere on the right track but I'm kinda lost..
[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered a straight forward conservation of energy approach? What's the KE required for the probe to escape?

KE = (1/2)mv^2
KE = (1/2) (90kg) (11183.1346)^2

Would I use that answer to then multiply it by the given stiffness?

Westin said:
KE = (1/2)mv^2
KE = (1/2) (90kg) (11183.1346)^2

Would I use that answer to then multiply it by the given stiffness?
Not quite. You'd want to make sue that your spring, when compressed, is storing at least that much energy so that when it relaxes it imparts that much energy to the probe. What's the expression for the PE stored in a compressed spring?

You might also want to convince yourself that the gravitational PE change for the probe through the spring's relaxation distance is not a significant contributor to the calculation.

Fs=−ks=−dUs/ds
dUs/ds=ks

Integrating this equation once would give us the Potential Energy that was obtained.

My second attempt:
Set KE=(1/2)mv^2 and -W=(1/2)kx^2 equal to each other
kx^2=mv^2

Solve for x
x=sqrt((mv^2)/k)
x=sqrt((90kg*11183.1346^2)/5.5e5)

x=143.055m

That result looks good.

Related to Determine the compression of the spring

What is the definition of compression of a spring?

The compression of a spring refers to the decrease in length or volume of a spring when a force is applied to it. It is a measure of how much the spring is squeezed or compressed.

How is the compression of a spring calculated?

The compression of a spring can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the spring constant, or by measuring the change in length or volume of the spring before and after the force is applied.

What factors affect the compression of a spring?

The compression of a spring is affected by the material, size, and shape of the spring, as well as the magnitude and direction of the applied force.

What units are used to measure the compression of a spring?

The compression of a spring is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or inches, depending on the scale of the spring. It can also be measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the compression of a spring?

The compression of a spring is important in many engineering and scientific fields, such as mechanical design, materials testing, and physics experiments. It is also used in everyday objects such as car suspensions, door hinges, and mattresses.