Determine the convergence of the sequence e^(1/n).

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the convergence or divergence of a sequence and finding the limit if it does converge. The solution involves using the limit laws and adapting them for sequences. Through this process, it is determined that the sequence diverges as the limit of the nth term is equal to 1. The process also involves understanding the concept of dividing or multiplying by infinity and how it relates to indeterminate forms.
lilypetals

Homework Statement

Determine whether the sequence converges or diverges. If it converges, find the limit.
an = e1/n

Homework Equations

The limit laws, adapted for sequences.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution; I was just wondering if someone might explain it to me.

I would have initially guessed that the limit of this sequence is 0. Not being sure how to proceed, however, I plugged it into WolframAlpha to see the steps for this particular problem.

limn-infinity e1/n

Using the continuity of e1/n at n=infinity, write limn-infinity e1/n as elimn-infinity1/n;

The limit of a quotient is the quotient of the limits:

e1/limn-infinityn

The limit of n as n approaches infinity is infinity:

=1.

Now, that makes sense, if I consider that 1/n goes to 0 as n goes to infinity, and thus the power of e would be 0, making the limit equal to one. But I'm not clear on exactly how we got there.

First question: what does "using the continuity of e1/n at n=infinity mean?

Second question: If limn-infinity of n is infinity, why does 1/n become 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
lilypetals said:
Second question: If limn-infinity of n is infinity, why does 1/n become 0?

What does 1/n approach as you increase n?

0, right?

Yes. So when we take [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{n}[/tex], we get [tex]\frac{1}{\infty}[/tex], which is zero.

Remember that for a series to converge the nth term necessarily must go to zero. (The converse is not true in general - a series whose nth term goes to zero does not necessarily converge.)

Looking at the the nth term of e1/n as n goes to infinity, you see it is equal to 1, which means this series diverges.

pergradus said:
Remember that for a series to converge the nth term necessarily must go to zero. (The converse is not true in general - a series whose nth term goes to zero does not necessarily converge.)

Looking at the the nth term of e1/n as n goes to infinity, you see it is equal to 1, which means this series diverges.

From the original post, we are dealing with a sequence. So, as long as there exists a limit, the sequence converges to that limit. For a series, you are correct.

jhae2.718 said:
Yes. So when we take [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{n}[/tex], we get [tex]\frac{1}{\infty}[/tex], which is zero.

Okay, I think I get it. Does this translate to other situations as well? Dividing/multiplying by infinity causes the quotient or the product to become 0?

jhae2.718 said:
From the original post, we are dealing with a sequence. So, as long as there exists a limit, the sequence converges to that limit. For a series, you are correct.

Doh! Misread the title.

lilypetals said:
Okay, I think I get it. Does this translate to other situations as well? Dividing/multiplying by infinity causes the quotient or the product to become 0?

Multiplying by infinity yields infinity. Dividing by infinity yield zero. (Technically speaking, this is an abuse of notation...)

Then we have indeterminate forms:
[tex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}, \frac{0}{0}, 0 \cdot \infty, 1^{\infty}, 0^0, \infty^0, \infty-\infty[/tex]

lilypetals said:

- No. The right way to look at it is to say that 1/n gets arbitrarily small as n increases. Dividing by infinity actually makes no sense. It is a heuristic.

- If you agree that 1/n converges to 0 then its exponential must converge to 1 because the exponential function is continuous.

FAQ: Determine the convergence of the sequence e^(1/n).

1. What is the definition of convergence in a sequence?

Convergence in a sequence refers to the behavior of the terms in the sequence as the index (n) approaches infinity. If the terms in the sequence approach a finite number or value, the sequence is said to be convergent.

2. How can you determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent, we can use the limit definition of convergence. This involves finding the limit of the sequence as n approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite number, the sequence is convergent. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, the sequence is divergent.

3. How does the sequence e^(1/n) behave as n approaches infinity?

As n approaches infinity, the sequence e^(1/n) approaches the value 1. This can be seen by taking the limit of the sequence as n approaches infinity. Therefore, the sequence e^(1/n) is convergent.

4. Can you provide a graphical representation of the convergence of e^(1/n)?

Yes, a graphical representation of the convergence of e^(1/n) would be a horizontal line at y=1, as the sequence approaches the value 1 as n increases. This line would represent the limit of the sequence as n approaches infinity.

5. What is the significance of determining the convergence of a sequence?

Determining the convergence of a sequence is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the terms in the sequence as the index increases. It also allows us to make predictions about the long-term behavior of the sequence. Additionally, convergence is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many applications such as computing areas and volumes.