Determine the current in this circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct circuit connections and how to determine what a node is in a circuit. It is important to pay attention to the resistor connections to avoid errors in circuit analysis. Additional information on determining a node can be found on Wikipedia.
tensor0910
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the current Ig[/B]
upload_2018-2-26_10-23-18.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
V1 = R1/(R1 + R2) * Vs

1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3...example

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what I did wrong, but I don't know how to avoid it. Here's what I mean.

upload_2018-2-26_10-29-1.png

How do you know which way its suppose to be?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-26_10-23-18.png
    upload_2018-2-26_10-23-18.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 699
  • New Document (1).pdf
    632.7 KB · Views: 196
  • upload_2018-2-26_10-29-1.png
    upload_2018-2-26_10-29-1.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 331
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I added onto the old picture. Hopefully this clears things up.

upload_2018-2-26_10-47-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-26_10-47-7.png
    upload_2018-2-26_10-47-7.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 280
In your "How do I know it's this...and not this" pictures, look at the resistor connections and they are obviously not the same. In the original circuit, the 5 Ohm and the 20 Ohm resistors are in parallel. One end of them is connected to the 6 Ohm resistor and the other end is connected to both the 13 Ohm resistor and the negative of the power supply. This is exactly the same connections as in your "How do i know it's this" picture. But in your "and not this" picture, the ends that are connected to the 6 Ohm resistor are now connected to the negative of the power supply. It's just not the same connections.

Look up about how to determine what a Node is. Wikipedia has some pretty good info on this. I'd put more now, but I'm on my phone.

In original and in the left hand diagram the 13R has one end connected to the -ve side of the voltage source. In the right hand diagram is doesn't. So the right hand ("and not this") circuit is different to the original.

Likes scottdave

Related to Determine the current in this circuit

1. What is the difference between current and voltage in a circuit?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit, measured in amperes. Voltage is the force that drives the current, measured in volts. In other words, voltage is the potential energy that causes current to flow.

2. How do you calculate the current in a circuit?

To calculate the current in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So the formula is: I = V/R.

3. What factors affect the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit is affected by the voltage, the resistance, and the type of material the circuit is made of. Other factors that can affect the current include temperature, length of the circuit, and the presence of any additional components such as resistors or capacitors.

4. How does the current flow in a circuit?

Current flows from the positive terminal of a power source, through the circuit, and back to the negative terminal of the power source. This is known as a closed circuit. The direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of electron flow.

5. How can you measure the current in a circuit?

The most common way to measure current in a circuit is by using an ammeter. An ammeter is connected in series with the circuit, meaning that the current flows through the ammeter, and the device displays the current measurement. Other methods of measuring current include using a multimeter or a clamp meter.