Determine the decimal values of the following unsigned numbers

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the decimal value of (A25F)16 is 41567. In base 16 notation, the letters A-F represent the decimal values of 10-15 respectively. Therefore, in the solution, 15 represents 15*16^0 and is multiplied by the corresponding power of 16. The same applies for the other digits in the solution.
shamieh
Determine the decimal value of the following unsigned number.

So here was the first one I did. Which is easy. I completely understand this one.

(3751)8 = 2025
I know this because: \(\displaystyle 1 + 5 * 8^1 + 7 * 8^2 + 3 * 8^3 = 2025.\)

But then they gave me this one.

b) (A25F)16. <-- They want me to determine the decimal value of the following unsigned number just as I did above, but I don't understand how they are getting their solution. Here is the solution they got..As you can see they did not write out all the steps so this is why I am confused. I want to know what's actually going on here. If anyone can clarify please help!

(A25F)16 = \(\displaystyle 15 * 1+ 5 *16 + 2 * 162+ 10 * 163 = 41567\)

Where does the 15 come from? What is the power they are multiplying by? (Wait)

Here is another solution I found, if this helps.

(A25F)16 = \(\displaystyle 10 * 4096 + 2 * 256 + 5 * 16 + 15 = 41567\)

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
They should have written:

\(\displaystyle (\text{A25F})_{16}=15 \cdot16^0+5 \cdot16^1+2 \cdot16^2+10 \cdot16^3=41567\)

In base 16 (or hexadecimal) notation, the letters A-F represent the decimal values of 10-15 respectively. Those letters are chosen as the 6 extra characters used to represent all of the needed digits.

Awesome! Thanks Mark. I was staring at my screen for almost 30 minutes trying to figure out what was going on. :D

Related to Determine the decimal values of the following unsigned numbers

What does it mean to "determine the decimal value" of an unsigned number?

When we say "determine the decimal value" of a number, we are asking for the numerical representation of that number in the base 10 system. This means finding the value of each digit in the number and adding them together according to their place value.

Why is it important to determine the decimal value of an unsigned number?

Determining the decimal value of an unsigned number allows us to accurately represent and manipulate the number in a way that is easily understandable and usable. It also allows us to compare and perform calculations with other numbers in the same base system.

What is an unsigned number?

An unsigned number is a numerical value that does not have a negative sign in front of it. This means the number is either positive or zero.

How do you determine the decimal value of an unsigned number?

To determine the decimal value of an unsigned number, we start by looking at the digits in the number and assigning them their respective place values (ones, tens, hundreds, etc.). We then multiply each digit by its place value and add all the products together to get the decimal value of the number.

Can the decimal value of an unsigned number ever be negative?

No, the decimal value of an unsigned number can never be negative. Since unsigned numbers do not have a negative sign, they can only represent positive or zero values in the base 10 system.