Determine the density at which it sinks -- experiment

In summary: But this table has multiple columns and it's not clear which column specifies the density at which the object will just sink. What do you think could be the solution?
neverlnd

Homework Statement

Hello :) This is a last resort. I'm stuck on what to do to complete this lab report table.

We are required to conduct an online simulation at this link: Buoyancy Online Simulation
This is the document of the lab report I'm required to fill up (I'm stuck at part 2)

Homework Equations

1. For each of the objects, determine the density at which it sinks in kg/L What does this mean? :(
  2. Use a mass of 4.5 kg.
  3. List this value in the table

The Attempt at a Solution

For ease, a picture of the table and what I've done so far - My understanding is "what does the density of the object need to be in order to sink". So the object has to be at minimum, denser than the liquid in order to sink. Is this completely wrong? :/This is a time limited request because the deadline is about 12 hours away ( like I said, this is a last resort as I am totally stumped and my instructor is not replying any of my emails since the start of the week :/ )

Thank you in advance !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi neverlnd,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

I took a quick look at the simulator and its options, and there doesn't appear to be any way to adjust the densities of the individual objects other than the "My Block". The only variable density I can find when one of the listed objects is in play is that of the fluid, which is continuously adjustable. But the table for part 2 has columns for all the specific fluids. So, as you've found, it's hard to tell what the lab author had in mind for this part of the lab.

You're right that a given block will sink when its density is greater than that of the fluid. It will be neutrally buoyant if the densities match (which means you could place the object under the surface and will stay where you put it).

I'm afraid I can't think of a way to fill out every entry in the given table that would make sense. If the table had only one column I'd say list the fluid density at which the given block would just sink, the neutral buoyancy being the threshold value.

Related to Determine the density at which it sinks -- experiment

What is the purpose of determining the density at which an object sinks?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the relationship between an object's density and its ability to float or sink in a liquid. This can help us better understand the properties and behavior of different materials.

What materials are needed for this experiment?

You will need a container filled with water, the object whose density you want to determine, a scale to measure the object's mass, and a ruler to measure its volume. It is also helpful to have a calculator and a pen or pencil to record your measurements.

How do I calculate the density of an object?

To calculate density, you will need to measure the mass and volume of the object. The formula for density is: density = mass/volume. Make sure to use consistent units for mass and volume, such as grams and cubic centimeters, respectively.

What should I observe during the experiment?

As you gradually add more weight to the object, you should observe changes in its position in the water. When the object sinks, the weight of the object will be equal to the weight of the water it displaces. This is known as Archimedes' principle.

What factors can affect the density of an object?

The density of an object can be affected by its composition, temperature, and pressure. For example, a hot air balloon will have a lower density when it is filled with hot air, making it less likely to sink in the cooler air around it.