Determine the diameter of a piston

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the diameter of a piston based on a given working stroke and a p(V) diagram with a compression rate of 7.5:1. The height of the clearance volume is calculated using a specific equation, but calculating the diameter remains a challenge. It is later clarified that the swept volume is also given, making the problem much simpler.
skrat

Homework Statement

Determine the diameter of a piston if the working stroke of a piston is ##h## and if a working cylinder ##(720^\circ )## describes the following ##p(V)## diagram, where on the ##x## axis is a ratio between the current volume of a piston and the total volume (swept + clearance volume). The compression rate is 7.5:1.
graf.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to calculate the height of the clearance volume (assuming it has the same shape as swept volume) by the following equation $$\frac{V_{clearance}+V_{swept}}{V_{clearance}}=7.5$$ so $$a=6.5 h.$$ And I honestly tried to calculate the diameter but everything I do leads me only to a ratio of some volumes, ergo the diameter falls out of the equation. I simply don't have an idea how to calculate the diameter of a piston.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see your difficulty. It makes no sense to me either.
Btw, I believe the given h is Vswept, so your a = 6.5h is backwards.

I apologize, I misread the problem statement. The swept volume ##V_{swept}## is also given. In that case, this is all a trivial problem.

Related to Determine the diameter of a piston

1. What is the purpose of determining the diameter of a piston?

The diameter of a piston is an important measurement that is used to calculate the displacement, or volume, of the piston. This information is crucial in determining the power and efficiency of an engine.

2. How do you measure the diameter of a piston?

The diameter of a piston can be measured using a caliper tool or a micrometer. Place the tool across the widest point of the piston and record the measurement in either inches or millimeters.

3. Why is it important to know the diameter of a piston?

The diameter of a piston is important because it affects the overall performance of an engine. A larger diameter piston will result in a higher displacement, which can increase the power output and torque of the engine.

4. Can the diameter of a piston be changed?

Yes, the diameter of a piston can be changed by either boring the cylinder walls to increase the size, or by using a different sized piston during the engine building process. However, this should only be done by a professional to ensure proper fit and function.

5. What factors can affect the diameter of a piston?

The diameter of a piston can be affected by wear and tear, overheating, and engine modifications. It is important to regularly check the diameter of the piston to ensure optimal engine performance.