Determine the Energy of Electromagnetic Radiation After Particle Collision

In summary, the total energy of the system in which an electron and a positron collide and vanish is 1.67 x 10-13 J. This energy is converted to electromagnetic radiation after the interaction.
tobywashere

Homework Statement

The positron and the electron each have a rest mass of 9.11 x 10-31 kg. In a certain experiment, an electron and a positron collide and vanish, leaving only electromagnetic radiation after the interaction. Each particle is moving at a speed of 0.20c relative to the laboratory before the collision. Determine the energy of the electromagnetic radiation.

Homework Equations

Total energy of a particle:

sqrt-1-v2-c2-mc2-over-e.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation:

(9.11 x 10-31)c2 / sqrt[1 - (0.2c)2/c2]
= 8.37 x 10-14 J
This is the total energy of one electron or positron. Since two particles are colliding, the total energy of the system is 8.37x10-14 x 2 = 1.67 x 10-13 J
When the particles vanish, all the energy is converted to electromagnetic radiation, so the energy of the electromagnetic radiation is 1.67 x 10-13 J
However, the answer in my textbook says 0.615 MeV, which is 9.84 x 10-14 J. My textbook is known to have mistakes, so I am checking if this is my mistake or the textbook's mistake.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Ok, a quick check. The energy must be E>mc^2. Mass is m = 2*9.1e-31kg, c = 3e8m/s, so E > 1.6e-13J
So it's possible both you and your book is wrong...

Sorry, I made a calculation error. I forgot to square c.
I edited my previous post. Now my answer is 1.67 x 10-13 J

FAQ: Determine the Energy of Electromagnetic Radiation After Particle Collision

1. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that is transmitted through space in the form of waves. It includes all types of light, from radio waves to gamma rays.

2. How is the energy of electromagnetic radiation determined after a particle collision?

The energy of electromagnetic radiation after a particle collision is determined by using the formula E=hf, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the radiation.

3. What factors can affect the energy of electromagnetic radiation after a particle collision?

The energy of electromagnetic radiation can be affected by the frequency and velocity of the particles involved in the collision, as well as the type of particles and the angle of collision.

4. Can the energy of electromagnetic radiation be calculated for all types of collisions?

Yes, the energy of electromagnetic radiation can be calculated for any type of collision involving particles with mass, as long as the necessary information such as velocity and mass is known.

5. How is the energy of electromagnetic radiation related to the properties of the particles involved in the collision?

The energy of electromagnetic radiation is directly related to the properties of the particles involved in the collision, such as their mass and velocity. The more energy the particles have, the higher the energy of the resulting radiation.