Determine the focal length of a lens

In summary, the problem is asking for the focal length and position of a lens that will create a half-size image of a spider that is 2.0 cm in diameter and 2.0 m away from a wall. The equations used are M = fi/fo = di/do and 1/f = 1/do + 1/di. The solution involves solving for the image height, distance from object to lens, and then using these values to find the focal length. The final answer is slightly less than half a meter.
rayhan619

Homework Statement

A 2.0-cm-diameter spider is 2.0 {\rm m} from a wall.
Determine the focal length of a lens that will make a half-size image of the spider on the wall.
Determine the position (measured from the wall) of a lens that will make a half-size image of the spider on the wall.

Homework Equations

M = fi/fo = di/do
1/f = 1/do + 1/di

The Attempt at a Solution

i got the first part. but not sure how to do the second one

Physics news on Phys.org

How did you get the first part? What did you get? There appear to be an infinite number of solutions, so I'm wondering which one you chose.

that was in the book. I am not really sure how to get that.
i tried it but i got -2m as the focal lens, where it is supposed to be 0.44m
here is how i did it

M = hi/ho
0.5 = hi/0.02
hi = 0.01 m

hi/ho = -di/do
0.01/0.02m = -di/2m
di = -1m

1/f = 1/do+1/di
1/f = 1/2m+1/-1m
f = -2 m

im not sure where i messed up

hi/ho = -di/do
0.01/0.02m = -di/2m
di = -1m
You chose Do = 2 m.

Oh, I missed that - the image is on the wall 2m from the spider! So the lens must be between the wall and the spider. And Do + Di = 2. Between the two of us, we'll get this yet!
You can't choose Do = 2; you must put Do = 2 - Di.
Probably easiest to put it into 1/2 = Di/Do so you can solve for Di.
Then it is easy to get f. I get a little less than half a meter.
Kind of backwards, having to do (b) before (a).

got it
thanx a lot

FAQ: Determine the focal length of a lens

1. What is the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens is the distance between the lens and the point where the light rays converge to form a focused image.

2. How is the focal length of a lens measured?

The focal length of a lens is typically measured in millimeters (mm) and is determined by the curvature and shape of the lens.

3. How does the focal length affect the image produced by a lens?

The focal length of a lens affects the magnification and field of view of the resulting image. A shorter focal length will produce a wider field of view and a smaller image, while a longer focal length will produce a narrower field of view and a larger image.

4. Can the focal length of a lens be changed?

No, the focal length of a lens is a fixed characteristic and cannot be changed without altering the physical properties of the lens.

5. How can I determine the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens can be determined by using a lens formula, which takes into account the distance between the lens and the image, as well as the distance between the lens and the object being photographed.