Determine the heat gained by the water

• Thread starter holly2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Water
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with solving specific heat equations and finding the specific heat capacity for Fe in a lab assignment. The person asking for help has all the necessary information but is struggling to get the correct answer. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the concept and how to set up the equations correctly.
holly2010

Homework Statement

I'm having a problem in solving specific heat equations. I get the basic concept and know the formula, but in doing the sample problems, I can't seem to get them right. I have a lab assignment where I need to find the specific heat capacity for Fe. I have all the required information filled in on the observation sheet.

Here's the problem:
Mass of Fe: 100gm
Volume of water in calorimeter:
Mass of water in calorimeter:
Initial Temp:20 degrees C
Final Temp: 100 degrees C
Final Temp of both the metal and water: 100 degrees C

Determine the heat gained by the water (show your work)
Q water=
Q Fe=

Homework Equations

Q= C(specific heat) x Mass x change of temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have done so far is
Mass= 100
C= 0.108
Tf= 100 C
TI=20 c

from there Q=100*0.108*80= 864 (I know somethings wrong with that answer)
I think it has to do with C, I tried finding the Specific heat of Iron online and came up with several different answers

Physics news on Phys.org
Its not working because this is a two part problem. The specific heat of water is a very commonly known number and you should have it memorized (I know I had to for my class). I believe it is something like 4.18J/g*K. So you need to set up the equation to get the change in enthalpy for water then use that number to set up a new equation where the change in enthalpy is the same magnitude but opposite direction for the iron and solve for the specific heat of iron.

Remember that the conceptual understanding is even more important than doing the actual math in these types of problems. You have to be able to understand how the system and environment interact, where the heat flows, what numbers will they have in common (remember energy is always conserved so if I lose X amount of heat something somewhere has to gain that exact same amount of heat). You need the initial temp of the water, the final temp of the water, the mass of the water (you can find this if you know the volume by using the density formula). All of those numbers plus the commonly known specific heat of water will allow for calculation of change in enthalpy for the water. The change in enthalpy will be the same magnitude but opposite direction for the iron so you can plug in the numbers (this is where you use the 100g and whatever the delta T for the iron was) and solve for the Cs.

FAQ: Determine the heat gained by the water

1. How do you determine the heat gained by water?

The heat gained by water can be determined by using the formula Q=mcΔT, where Q is the heat gained, m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius. It is approximately 4.18 joules per gram per degree Celsius.

3. How do you measure the mass of water?

The mass of water can be measured using a balance or scale. The water should be contained in a container or beaker that is placed on the balance, and the mass can be recorded in grams.

4. What is the unit of measurement for heat gained?

The unit of measurement for heat gained is joules (J). However, sometimes it may also be measured in calories (cal) or kilocalories (kcal).

5. Can the heat gained by water be negative?

Yes, the heat gained by water can be negative if the water is losing heat instead of gaining it. This could happen if the temperature of the water is decreasing or if it is being exposed to a colder environment.

Back