Determine the magnitude and direction of the total force on the wire.

In summary: The total force on the wire is the sum of the forces on each half. In summary, we are trying to determine the magnitude and direction of the total force on a stiff wire bent at a right angle and carrying a current of 20.5 A through a uniform magnetic field. We also need to find the angle theta below the negative y-axis.
q8kd

Homework Statement

Problem 27.7
A stiff wire 52.0 cm long is bent at a right angle in the middle. One section lies along the z axis and the other is along the line y=2x in the plane. A current of 20.5 A flows in the wire-down the z axis and out the line in the xy plane. The wire passes through a uniform magnetic field given by B=(0.318i)T .

(a) : Determine the magnitude and direction of the total force on the wire.
(b) : Find the ange theta = ,,,,,, below the negative y-axis

Homework Equations

F = I l B sin(theta)
F = I lxB

The Attempt at a Solution

Length L = 35(2) *(-k) +35(2) cos 65 i + 35(2) sin 65 j
= 29.58 i + 63.44 j - 70 k
magnetic field B = 0.318 i
current i = 20.5 A
force F = i ( L X B )
but there is some thing wrong !
i don't know wher ,, maybe with the angle theta !

Please help and thanks for trying to help me .

Physics news on Phys.org
HeLp PLeaSe ,,, I'm WaiTing

Welcome to Physics Forums.
q8kd said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Length L = 35(2) *(-k) +35(2) cos 65 i + 35(2) sin 65 j
= 29.58 i + 63.44 j - 70 k
magnetic field B = 0.318 i
current i = 20.5 A
force F = i ( L X B )
but there is some thing wrong !
i don't know wher ,, maybe with the angle theta !

Please help and thanks for trying to help me .
Consider each wire half separately, and get the force acting on each half of the wire.

FAQ: Determine the magnitude and direction of the total force on the wire.

1. What is the formula for determining the magnitude and direction of the total force on a wire?

The formula for determining the magnitude and direction of the total force on a wire is F = I * L * B * sinθ, where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

2. How do you determine the direction of the force on a wire?

The direction of the force on a wire can be determined using the right hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm of your hand will face the direction of the force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the force on a wire?

The magnitude of the force on a wire is affected by the strength of the current, the length of the wire, and the strength of the magnetic field. The angle between the wire and the magnetic field also plays a role in determining the magnitude of the force.

4. How does the direction of the wire affect the force on it?

The direction of the wire in relation to the magnetic field affects the force on it. If the wire is parallel to the magnetic field, there will be no force on the wire. However, if the wire is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the force will be at its maximum.

5. Can the total force on a wire ever be zero?

Yes, the total force on a wire can be zero if the wire is either parallel or antiparallel to the magnetic field. In these cases, the force will cancel out and there will be no net force on the wire.

Back