Determine the Magnitude of the instantaneous Velocity

In summary, the conversation is about determining the magnitude of the instantaneous velocity at T=5s, given the function x=AT^2+B, where A=2.1m/s^2 and B=2.8m. The previous questions answered on this problem are the average velocity of 16.8 and displacement of 33.6 from 3s to 5s. The person asking for help admits to not understanding the relationship between position and velocity and has previously taken calculus but forgot what was learned. The person helping suggests studying the basics of the relationship and not spoon-feeding answers.
Chris Carney

Homework Statement

Determine the Magnitude of the instantaneous velocity at T=5s
Function is x=AT^2 + B
A=2.1m/s^2
B=2.8 M

Homework Equations

The previous questions answered on this problem are:
AVG Velocity is 16.8
Displacement is 33.6 from 3s to 5s

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to find either magnitude or instantaneous velocity. I need it broken down to the most basic steps to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand what the relationship is between position and velocity? Have you taken calculus?

I took calc and calc 2 about 4 years ago, I passed with A's but left school on military orders and have just gotten back into school. I forgot a lot of what I learned then.

so, do you understand what the relationship is between position and velocity?

phinds said:
so, do you understand what the relationship is between position and velocity?
No, no I do not.

Chris Carney said:
No, no I do not.

Well, do you think maybe my repeatedly asking you about it is a hint to look it up?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, but part of what we do is try to help people learn how to get answers on their own, not spoon-feed answers. The relationship between position and velocity is extremely basic and one of the things that is generally brought up early in calculus so you really should study it a bit if you want to understand this kind of problem.

Related to Determine the Magnitude of the instantaneous Velocity

1. What is the definition of instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the rate of change of an object's position at a specific moment in time. It is the magnitude and direction of an object's motion at a specific point.

2. How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

Instantaneous velocity is calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position function with respect to time. This gives the slope of the tangent line to the position curve at a specific point, which represents the object's instantaneous velocity.

3. What is the difference between instantaneous velocity and average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the overall velocity of an object over a given period of time. Average velocity takes into account the distance traveled and the time taken, while instantaneous velocity only considers the object's velocity at a single point.

4. How does the magnitude of instantaneous velocity change during motion?

The magnitude of instantaneous velocity can change during motion as the object accelerates or decelerates. If the object is moving at a constant velocity, the magnitude of instantaneous velocity will remain the same. As the object speeds up or slows down, the magnitude of instantaneous velocity will increase or decrease accordingly.

5. What is the significance of determining the magnitude of instantaneous velocity?

Determining the magnitude of instantaneous velocity is important in understanding the motion and behavior of objects. It can help in predicting an object's future position and velocity, and is crucial in the study of physics and engineering. It also allows for precise measurements and calculations in various scientific fields.