Determine the magnitude of the vertical clamping force at E

In summary, the problem involves determining the magnitude of the vertical clamping force at point E in terms of the force P applied to the handle of the toggle clamp. The conversation suggests using equations such as ΣFx=0, ΣFy=0, and ΣM=0, but the equations are not linking up. The conversation also mentions experimenting with locking pliers and understanding the mechanism of an "over-centre" clamp. It is suggested to solve the problem as an approximation using the force multiplication and angle of the link vector B-C.
Ella Tankersley
Moved from a technical forum, no template.
Problem: Determine the magnitude of the vertical clamping force at E in terms of the force P applied to the handle of the toggle clamp.
Picture:
media%2Fdad%2Fdad30f90-a6cb-4dd1-b40f-e2fc66b6ffbd%2Fphp7wuVlp.png

I separated the machine into different parts and tried using ΣFx=0, ΣFy=0, and ΣM=0, but I can't seem to get the equations to link up to each other. Any help?

Attachments

• media%2Fdad%2Fdad30f90-a6cb-4dd1-b40f-e2fc66b6ffbd%2Fphp7wuVlp.png
    media%2Fdad%2Fdad30f90-a6cb-4dd1-b40f-e2fc66b6ffbd%2Fphp7wuVlp.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,358
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
I can't see the picture, server not found. Posted address is wrong. Drag and drop your image onto PF browser.
Is this a homework problem?

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
I can't see the picture, server not found. Posted address is wrong. Drag and drop your image onto PF browser.
Is this a homework problem?
Are you able to see the picture now? And yes this is a homework problem!

Yes.

Ella Tankersley said:
I separated the machine into different parts and tried using ΣFx=0, ΣFy=0, and ΣM=0, but I can't seem to get the equations to link up to each other. Any help?

Show us your work. We need to see your attempt before the homework helpers help.

First understand the mechanism. It is called an “over-centre” clamp.
Find and experiment with some locking pliers; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locking_pliers
Follow the over-center link to; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipping_point_(physics)

Notice that as the point C passes through the straight line between B and D, the force multiplication will change sign and momentarily approach infinity.

You might solve the problem as an approximation.
The first step could be Force Cy = Force Py * 130mm / 18mm
The final step could be; Force Ey = Force Dx * 10mm / 70mm
The angle of the link vector B-C will translate the vertical component Cy into horizontal component Dx.

Last edited:

Related to Determine the magnitude of the vertical clamping force at E

What is the definition of magnitude?

Magnitude refers to the size or amount of something, usually measured in numerical values or units.

What is the vertical clamping force at E?

The vertical clamping force at E is the amount of force that is exerted in a downward direction at point E, usually measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

How is the magnitude of the vertical clamping force at E determined?

The magnitude of the vertical clamping force at E is determined by measuring the weight or load that is being supported by the clamping mechanism at point E, and converting it to the appropriate units of force.

What factors can affect the magnitude of the vertical clamping force at E?

The magnitude of the vertical clamping force at E can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the object being clamped, the strength and stability of the clamping mechanism, and any external forces or vibrations acting on the system.

Why is it important to determine the magnitude of the vertical clamping force at E?

Determining the magnitude of the vertical clamping force at E is important for ensuring the safety and stability of the clamped object or system. It can also help in designing and selecting appropriate clamping mechanisms for specific applications.