Determine the particles most probable position

In summary: DanIt's a good trick. In this case it doesn't save much algebra, but sometimes it can make things a lot simpler.-Dan
Addez123
Homework Statement
x > 0:
$$\Psi(x) = 2\sqrt{a^3}xe^{-ax}$$

x < 0:
$$\Psi(x) = 0$$
Relevant Equations
Physics
To get expected value I use
$$E = \int \Psi^* Q \Psi dx$$
where Q = x

$$4a^3 \int xe^{ax} \cdot x \cdot xe^{-ax} dx = 4a^3 \int_0^{\inf} x^3 dx$$
which is undefined.

But the answer is suppose to be 1/a.

Physics news on Phys.org
Addez123 said:
Homework Statement:: x > 0:
$$\Psi(x) = 2\sqrt{a^3}xe^{-ax}$$

x < 0:
$$\Psi(x) = 0$$
Relevant Equations:: Physics

To get expected value I use
$$E = \int \Psi^* Q \Psi dx$$
where Q = x

$$4a^3 \int xe^{ax} \cdot x \cdot xe^{-ax} dx = 4a^3 \int_0^{\inf} x^3 dx$$
which is undefined.

But the answer is suppose to be 1/a.
What is ##\Psi ^*## again? (Hint: a is real.)

-Dan

Likes vanhees71
topsquark said:
What is ##\Psi ^*## again? (Hint: a is real.)

-Dan
Isn't the conjugate simply reversing the minus sign on the exponential?
Conjugate of ##xe^{-iax}## is ##xe^{iax}## according to wolfram alpha too.

Addez123 said:
Isn't the conjugate simply reversing the minus sign on the exponential?
Conjugate of ##xe^{-iax}## is ##xe^{iax}## according to wolfram alpha too.
The argument of your exponential is -ax, not -iax.

-Dan

Likes vanhees71 and Addez123
topsquark said:
The argument of your exponential is -ax, not -iax.

-Dan
That is true!
So since it has no imaginary part the conjugate is simply itself? No changes?

Likes vanhees71
Addez123 said:
That is true!
So since it has no imaginary part the conjugate is simply itself? No changes?
If a is real then ##a = a + 0i##. So ##a^* = a - 0i = a##.

-Dan

Likes vanhees71
topsquark said:
If a is real then ##a = a + 0i##. So ##a^* = a - 0i = a##.

-Dan
Great!

But I still get the wrong answer.
$$4a^3 \int_0^{inf} x^3 \cdot e^{-2ax} = 4a^3 \cdot \frac {3}{8a^4} = \frac {3}{2a}$$
not 1/a as the answer suggests.

Addez123 said:
Great!

But I still get the wrong answer.
$$4a^3 \int_0^{inf} x^3 \cdot e^{-2ax} = 4a^3 \cdot \frac {3}{8a^4} = \frac {3}{2a}$$
not 1/a as the answer suggests.
Ahhhh... I see the problem now.

You are looking for the most probable position. The expectation value is the average position.

What you want to do is find the where the maximum value of the probability density ##\Psi ^* \Psi## is.

-Dan

Likes vanhees71, PeroK and Addez123
Note that for a non-negative real-valued function ##|\Psi(x)|^2## is a maximum at ##x_0## iff ##\Psi(x)## is a maximum at ##x_0##.

Likes vanhees71, topsquark and Addez123
PeroK said:
Note that for a non-negative real-valued function ##|\Psi(x)|^2## is a maximum at ##x_0## iff ##\Psi(x)## is a maximum at ##x_0##.
Good tip! I solved the ##\Psi^* \Psi## and got correct value though. Solved it again with your solution and it gave correct result too!

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Addez123 said:
Good tip! I solved the ##\Psi^* \Psi## and got correct value though. Solved it again with your solution and it gave correct result too!
It's a good trick. In this case it doesn't save much algebra, but sometimes it can make things a lot simpler.

Likes vanhees71 and topsquark

FAQ: Determine the particles most probable position

What is the most probable position of a particle in quantum mechanics?

The most probable position of a particle in quantum mechanics is the position where the probability density function, given by the square of the wave function's magnitude, reaches its maximum value. This is often found by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system and identifying the peak of the probability distribution.

How do you calculate the most probable position of a particle?

To calculate the most probable position of a particle, you first need to find the wave function of the particle by solving the Schrödinger equation for the given system. Then, you calculate the probability density function by taking the square of the wave function's magnitude. The position where this probability density function has its maximum value is the most probable position.

Can the most probable position of a particle be different from its expected position?

Yes, the most probable position of a particle can be different from its expected (or mean) position. The most probable position is where the probability density function is highest, while the expected position is the average value obtained by integrating the position weighted by the probability density over all space. In some cases, these two positions can coincide, but they are generally different.

What is the difference between the most probable position and the classical position of a particle?

The most probable position in quantum mechanics is determined by the probability density function derived from the wave function, whereas the classical position is determined by solving classical equations of motion (e.g., Newton's laws) for the particle. In quantum mechanics, the particle's position is inherently probabilistic, while in classical mechanics, it is deterministic.

How does the potential energy of a system affect the most probable position of a particle?

The potential energy of a system affects the shape of the wave function, and consequently, the probability density function. Different potential energy profiles will result in different solutions to the Schrödinger equation, which in turn will alter the location of the peak of the probability density function, and thus the most probable position of the particle. For example, in a potential well, the most probable position is often near the bottom of the well where the potential energy is lowest.

Back