Determine the potential V(x) from the Hamiltonian

In Summary, the potential found in the Hamiltonian is based on the wavefunction and the normalization coefficient.
Milsomonk

Homework Statement

Assuming psi is an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian (TISE) and that E=0, determine the potential V(x) appearing in the Hamiltonian.

Homework Equations

Time Independant Schrodinger Equation - 1 Dimensional (x)

I am given the wavefunction psi = N/(1+x^2)
I have found the normalization coefficient N, but this cancels in the calculation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey guys,
So I have this question which I'm a little unsure on, so far I've taken these steps.
1. wrote down the TISE, since E=0 i set the right hand side to zero.
2. next I moved V(x) over to the left, canceled the minus sign on each side.
3. So now I have (Hbar^2/2m)*(second derivative of psi wrt x)= v(x) psi. I divided both sides by psi, carried out the defferentiation and simplified.
4. I have checked my calculus and simplifications in mathematica and they are correct. Basically for V(x) I have Hbar^2/m * (function of x), I am wondering if this is the write form for a potential and whether my method was sound. It seems odd to me to have the Planck constant and mass involved in the potential, but maybe its fine? Am I one the right lines with my technique for answering the question?

Any insights would be really appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Milsomonk said:
Basically for V(x) I have Hbar^2/m * (function of x), I am wondering if this is the write form for a potential and whether my method was sound.
Of course we would need to see you answer in order to know if it is correct, but your method appears to be correct.
It seems odd to me to have the Planck constant and mass involved in the potential, but maybe its fine?
Often, the potential does not have Planck's constant, h, or the mass of the particle, m (e.g., the hydrogen atom or the harmonic oscillator). But in these cases, the wavefunction will contain h and m. For such systems, what would you expect to happen to h and m if you carried through your procedure to derive V from psi?

Your approach sounds correct.

This is a very weird problem, because the wave function and the resulting potential don't make sense from a units point of view, unless the x is is some adimensional length.

Thanks! awesome answers :) I feel a bit more confident in my answer now. I guess i'd expect them to cancel if h and m were contained in the wavefunction, leaving a potential purely dependant on x.

I'm happy to here that it is a weird problem, I thought that as well but didn't know if I was just missing something. I guess this particular problem is more of a mathematical excersise than a particularly physical one.

Thanks again guys :)

Related to Determine the potential V(x) from the Hamiltonian

1. What is the Hamiltonian in physics?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator in physics that represents the total energy of a system. It is used to describe the dynamics of a system and is an important concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the Hamiltonian related to potential energy?

The Hamiltonian is related to potential energy through the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The potential energy function, V(x), is a component of the Hamiltonian and contributes to the overall energy of the system.

3. How do you determine the potential energy from the Hamiltonian?

The potential energy, V(x), can be determined from the Hamiltonian by isolating the term that represents potential energy. This can be done by rearranging the Schrödinger equation or by using other mathematical techniques such as separation of variables.

4. What information can be obtained from the potential energy function?

The potential energy function can provide valuable information about the behavior of a system. It can show the equilibrium points, the stability of those points, and the overall shape of the potential energy landscape.

5. How is the potential energy function used in practical applications?

The potential energy function is used in various applications, such as in quantum chemistry calculations and in the study of quantum systems. It can also be used to model and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as atoms and molecules.