Determine the probability of winning a game of craps by rolling a sum of 6

In summary, the conversation discussed the probability of winning a game of craps by rolling a sum of 6. This probability can be calculated without summing the infinite series by considering the probability of rolling a 6 before a 7. This probability is found to be 5/11, which can be derived from an equation that takes into account the different possible outcomes on the first roll. This avoids the need to sum the infinite series, making the calculation simpler and more straightforward.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
I'm aware that the

P( winning a game of craps by rolling a sum of 6)
=P(getting 6 the first time and 6 the second time) or

P(getting 6 the first time, get some number other than 6 and 7 the second time and get 6 again the third time) or

P((getting 6 the first time, get some number other than 6 and 7 the second and third time and get 6 again the fourth time)...

the sequence continues in such a manner infinitely (this is to say that we're having an infinite sum of a geometric sequence)

= $((\frac{2!}{36}\times2)+\frac{1}{36})+ S_\infty$

=$\frac{5}{36}+ \frac{(\frac{5}{36})^2}{1-\frac{25}{36}}$

=$\frac{5}{36}+ \frac{25}{396}$

=$\frac{20}{99}$

But a quick goggle search shows that I don't have to consider the infinite sequence and the probability of winning a game of craps by rolling a sum of 6 for the third time and so on is simply

$\frac{P(winning \;a \;game \;f \;craps \;by \;rolling \;a \;sum \;of \;6 }{P(winning \;or \;losing)}=\frac{\frac{5}{36}}{\frac{5}{36}+\frac{1}{36}}=\frac{5}{11}$

Therefore,

P( winning a game of craps by rolling a sum of 6)
=P( winning a game of craps by rolling a sum of 6 the second time) and P(winning a game of craps by rolling a sum of 6 on the third time and so on)
=$\frac{5}{36}\times\frac{5}{11}=\frac{25}{369}$

Finally,
P( winning a game of craps by rolling a sum of 6)=$\frac{5}{36}+ \frac{25}{396}=\frac{20}{99}$

I can't quite get my head around that fact. It has confused rather than enlighten me.

Could someone please explain to me why this works?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi anemone,

I'm not sure I understand exactly which part you're having trouble with, but I'm going to assume that it's how you can avoid summing the infinite series-- i.e., how we can find that the probability of rolling a 6 before rolling a 7 is 5/11. (I'm skipping the part about rolling a 6 on your first roll.)

So let's say \( p \) is the probability of rolling 6 before you roll a 7. On the first roll, there are three possibilities:
(1) With probability 5/36, you roll a 6. Hurray! If this happens, your probability of success is 1.
(2) With probability 6/36, you roll a 7. Sob! If this happens, your probability of success is 0.
(3) With probability 25/36, you roll something else. Now you are right back where you started, and your probability of (eventual) success is \( p \).

So $$ p = (5/36) \cdot 1 + (6/36) \cdot 0 + (25/36) \cdot p $$
This is an equation which you can solve easily, with the result \( p = 5/11 \).

:)
Yes, I mean to ask how one can avoid summing the infinite series.
It makes a lot of sense now!
Thanks for the kind and great explanation!

Related to Determine the probability of winning a game of craps by rolling a sum of 6

1. What is the basic concept of determining the probability of winning a game of craps by rolling a sum of 6?

The basic concept is to calculate the likelihood of rolling a sum of 6 with two six-sided dice in a game of craps. This involves understanding the different combinations of numbers that can result in a sum of 6 and calculating the probability of each combination.

2. How many possible combinations of numbers can result in a sum of 6 when rolling two dice?

There are five possible combinations that can result in a sum of 6: 1+5, 2+4, 3+3, 4+2, and 5+1.

3. What is the probability of rolling a sum of 6 in a single roll of two dice?

The probability of rolling a sum of 6 in a single roll of two dice is 5/36, or approximately 13.89%. This can be calculated by dividing the number of combinations that result in a sum of 6 (5) by the total number of possible combinations when rolling two dice (36).

4. How does the probability of rolling a sum of 6 change with multiple rolls?

The probability of rolling a sum of 6 with multiple rolls increases with each roll. For example, the probability of rolling a sum of 6 at least once in two rolls is approximately 25.93%. This can be calculated by subtracting the probability of not rolling a sum of 6 (31/36) from 1 and then multiplying by itself (1 - 31/36)^2 = 0.2593.

5. Are there any strategies that can increase the probability of rolling a sum of 6 in a game of craps?

No, there are no strategies that can increase the probability of rolling a sum of 6 in a game of craps. The probability is solely based on the number of combinations that can result in a sum of 6 and cannot be manipulated by any strategy or method.