Determine the size of a planet

• I
  • Thread starter Amber_smith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planet
In summary, the question is asking for the size of a planet that rotates at 5000mph with a day length of 52 hours. The formula for determining the circumference of a planet can be found in the circular motion section of the wiki page. Based on the given information, the circumference of the planet would be 260,000 miles and the diameter would be approximately 82,761 miles, making it about 10.45 times larger than Earth.
Amber_smith
Given a planet that rotates at 5000mph And the length of a day being 52 hours how big would this planet be?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The forum doesn't work like that. You have to show some effort at solving a problem yourself. Members can't just give out answers or they could be banned.
How[/PLAIN] to Ask for Homework Help

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry i didn't know. this isn't for homework or anything. It was just a general question. If someone could point me in the right direction of the formula to figure it out myself that would be as helpful

From the question, you are basically trying to determine the circumference of a planet. So, if a person is standing on the surface, how far would they travel in 52 hours? (I.E. the length of time for them to rotate once).

I don't have time to provide an in-depth answer, but here's the wiki page for circular motion. The first couple of equations in the formula section should be exactly what you need to figure this out. (at least I think so. I only had a minute or two to look into this)

Amber_smith said:
Given a planet that rotates at 5000mph And the length of a day being 52 hours how big would this planet be?
Your question contains the answer: 5,000 miles per hour for 52 hours = 260,000 miles. Therefore, the circumference of your planet must be 260,000 miles. That would make your planet ~10.45 times larger than Earth, or 82,761 miles in diameter.

Related to Determine the size of a planet

1. How is the size of a planet determined?

The size of a planet is determined by measuring its diameter, which is the distance across the planet at its widest point. This can be done using telescopes and other instruments, as well as by analyzing data from spacecraft missions.

2. What unit of measurement is used to determine the size of a planet?

The size of a planet is typically measured in kilometers (km) or miles (mi). For larger planets, such as Jupiter, the unit of measurement may be in thousands of kilometers (km).

3. Can the size of a planet change over time?

Yes, the size of a planet can change over time due to natural phenomena such as volcanic eruptions, tectonic activity, and impacts from other objects. However, these changes are usually very small and may take millions of years to occur.

4. How does the size of a planet affect its characteristics?

The size of a planet can greatly impact its characteristics, such as its gravity, atmosphere, and surface features. Larger planets tend to have stronger gravitational forces, thicker atmospheres, and more diverse landscapes, while smaller planets may have weaker gravity and less complex features.

5. What is the largest and smallest planet in our solar system?

The largest planet in our solar system is Jupiter, with a diameter of 139,822 km. The smallest planet is Mercury, with a diameter of 4,879 km. However, the dwarf planet Pluto is smaller than Mercury, with a diameter of only 2,372 km.