Determine the units of the quantity described

• Thread starter knotloved
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the homework equation is asking for you to solve for N, the unit of force, based on a combination of units.
knotloved

Homework Statement

Determine the units of the quantity described by each of the following combinations of units:
a. kg (m/s) (1/s)
b. (kg/s) (m/s²)
c. (kg/s) (m/s)²
d. (kg/s) (m/s)

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I would attempt to solve the problem, but I don't even know what's being asked of me. I think I have reading comprehension problems :rolleyes: I'm not asking you to do my hw, but I'd appreciate it if you a) dumbed down the question for me b) told me how to solve it. I'm assuming you probably don't get basic questions like this often... sorry. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

This is called dimensional analysis.
For example, A Newton, the unit of force, is defined as the net force required to accelerate a 1kg mass with an acceleration of 1m/s2. So N = kg*m/s2
With some algebra, you should be able to simplify the dimensions and end up with other units that are defined in terms of those units.

Several of those combinations of standard units have special names. Try figuring out what kind of quantity each is, then you might be able to come up with the name. (At least I think that's what they want.)

knotloved said:

Homework Statement

Determine the units of the quantity described by each of the following combinations of units:
a. kg (m/s) (1/s)

For part (a),
[tex]1\frac{kg\cdot m}{s^{2}}=1N (Newton)[/tex]

The SI system has 7 base units and the rest are derived. The question is giving you a combination of bas units (kg, m, s) and asking you to give the derived units based on those. Check out this wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_derived_unit

I think with that you can figure out the rest!

No need to apologize, it's perfectly normal to have difficulty understanding a question at first. Let me break it down for you:

The question is asking you to determine the units of a quantity, or in other words, what are the units of measurement that would be used to measure this quantity. The quantity is described by different combinations of units, which means we are looking at different ways of expressing the same quantity.

a. The first combination of units is kg (m/s) (1/s). This can be simplified to kg•m/s², which is the unit for force (Newton) in the SI system. So the quantity described in this case is force.

b. The second combination of units is (kg/s) (m/s²). This can be simplified to kg•m/s³, which is the unit for power (Watt) in the SI system. So the quantity described in this case is power.

c. The third combination of units is (kg/s) (m/s)². This can be simplified to kg/s, which is the unit for mass flow rate in the SI system. So the quantity described in this case is mass flow rate.

d. The fourth combination of units is (kg/s) (m/s). This can be simplified to kg, which is the unit for mass in the SI system. So the quantity described in this case is mass.

I hope this helps you understand the question and how to solve it. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Determine the units of the quantity described

1. What are units in science?

Units in science refer to specific measurements that are used to quantify and describe different physical quantities. These units are standardized and internationally recognized to ensure consistency and accuracy in scientific measurements.

2. Why are units important in scientific measurements?

Units are important in scientific measurements because they provide a standard reference point and allow for accurate and precise comparisons between different measurements. They also help to ensure that data collected by different scientists can be easily understood and replicated.

3. How do you determine the units of a quantity?

To determine the units of a quantity, you need to identify the physical quantity being measured and then use the appropriate conversion factors to convert the measurements into the desired units. It is important to always include the correct units in scientific calculations and measurements.

4. Can units be converted between different systems of measurement?

Yes, units can be converted between different systems of measurement. There are conversion factors and formulas that can be used to convert units between the metric and imperial systems, for example. It is important to ensure that the units are converted correctly to avoid errors in scientific calculations.

5. Are there any units that are commonly used in multiple scientific fields?

Yes, there are units that are commonly used in multiple scientific fields. For example, the metric units of length, mass, and volume are used in the fields of physics, chemistry, and biology. The unit of time is also commonly used in various scientific fields, such as astronomy and geology.