Determine the work done by the pushing force

In summary, a person pushing a 16.0-kg shopping cart at a constant velocity for a distance of 28.0 m in a direction 24.0° below the horizontal encounters a 32.0-N frictional force. The magnitude of the force exerted by the shopper can be found using the net force equation and the fact that the horizontal components of the forces must add up to zero. The work done by the pushing force is equal to 896.001 J. The work done by the frictional force can be calculated using the work equation and taking into account that work can be negative.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A person pushes a 16.0-kg shopping cart at a constant velocity for a distance of 28.0 m. She pushes in a direction 24.0° below the horizontal. A 32.0-N frictional force opposes the motion of the cart.
a. What is the magnitude of the force that the shopper exerts?
b. Determine the work done by the pushing force.
c. Determine the work done by the frictional force.
d. Determine the work done by the gravitational force.

Homework Equations

P=W/T
W=F*D

I'm sure I'll have to take the cosine of 24 in there somewhere...

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I assumed this would just be 16*28*cos(24), but this doesn't work. Once I have this, I can solve for B and probably C.
b.
c.
d. w=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint for a: What's the net force on the cart?

Net force is equal to mass times acceleration. I have no acceleration, and the answer is not zero...?

Thanks for your help in advance!

jacksonpeeble said:
Net force is equal to mass times acceleration. I have no acceleration, and the answer is not zero...?
The answer to my question is certainly zero. The net force on the cart is zero. Now examine the horizontal force components acting on the cart. Use the fact that they must add to zero to write an equation for the applied force. (If the applied force is F, what is its horizontal component?)

I really don't understand... please walk me through this so that I can grasp the concept...

Start by identifying all the forces acting on the cart and which way they act. You should draw a diagram showing those forces. Then consider the horizontal components.

Thank you very much for your help! From it, I was able to find a (35.028) and b (896.001). However, oddly, I still cannot figure out c. Any suggestions?

Nevermind :-) I forgot work could be negative...

Related to Determine the work done by the pushing force

1. What is work in terms of physics?

Work is defined as the product of the force applied on an object and the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is measured in joules (J).

2. How is work related to the pushing force?

The work done by the pushing force is equal to the product of the magnitude of the force and the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

3. What is the formula for determining work done by the pushing force?

The formula for work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is the magnitude of the force, and d is the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

4. Does the direction of the pushing force affect the work done?

Yes, the direction of the pushing force is important in determining work. Work is only done when the force and the displacement are in the same direction. If the force and displacement are in opposite directions, the work done is negative.

5. How is work done by the pushing force different from energy?

Work done by the pushing force is a measure of the effort required to move an object, while energy is the ability to do work. Work done is a scalar quantity, while energy is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

Back