Determing field gradient of Stern-Gerlach magnet

In summary: So, after calculating the z-component of velocity at the detector (dz2), you can use this value to calculate the additional displacement (dz3). In summary, the z-deflection of an atom while traveling through the magnet is determined by the z-component of velocity and the time to get from the magnet to the detector.
jay ess

Homework Statement

Determine the field gradient of a 50-cm-long Stern-Gerlach magnet (d1) that would produce a 1-mm separation at the detector between spin-up and spin-down silver atoms that are emitted from an oven at T=1500. Assume the detector is located 50 cm from the magnet (d2). Note: While the atoms in the oven have average kinetic energy 3kBT2, the more energetic atoms strike the hole in the oven more frequently. Thus the emitted atoms have average kinetic energy 2kBT2, where the kB is the Boltzmann constant. The magnetic dipole moment of the silver atom is due to the intrinsic spin of the single electron. The Bohr magneton, e[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]/2mec≈5.788×10-9eV/G

Homework Equations

Fz=μ⋅∂B/∂zμ∂Bz/∂z

The Attempt at a Solution

The setup: the magnetic field gradient is oriented in the z-direction while the initial velocity of the atoms is in the x-direction.
The separation between the silver atoms is 1-mm, therefore, the distance traveled in the z-direction by the silver atoms is 0.5 mm=5x10-2cm which I call dz.
∂Bz/∂z=∇B
Fz=maz=μ∂Bz/∂z=μ∇B
Average kinetic energy of the particles: 1/2mvx2=2kBTvx=√(4kBT/m)
vx=d1/t1→t1=d1/vx=d1√(m/4kBT)
I know that while the atoms are in the field gradient they will be experiencing a force that causes them to move in the z-direction (I'm just sticking with the positive z-direction for simplicity) and once they're out of the field gradient they will be traveling at a constant velocity in both the x- and z-directions. I also know that I need to somehow relate all of this to the kinematic equations but I'm kind of at a loss right now.
vz=azt1 (since there's no initial velocity in the z-direction and acceleration is constant).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Jay ess.

You've got a good start. Can you find an expression for the z- deflection of an atom while traveling through the magnet in terms of t1? As the atom leaves the magnet it will have a z-component of velocity as you indicated as well as the x-component. Can you use these two components of velocity to determine the direction that the atom is traveling as it leaves the magnet? Then see if you can find the additional z-deflection as it travels to the detector.

That's the bit that's giving me the most trouble, relating the kinematics equations in all of this mess. I know that since the atom started out at the origin and without any initial velocity in the z-direction that I can find the position of the particle as it is leaving the gradient (let's call it dz1) by dz1=1/2az*t12=1/2μ∇B/m(m/4kBT)=μ∇B/(8kBT). But, after that I'm still kind of lost because everything else I try just seems to fall apart.

jay ess said:
dz1=1/2az*t12=1/2μ∇B/m(m/4kBT)=μ∇B/(8kBT).
That look's good except for leaving out a factor of d12.
But, after that I'm still kind of lost because everything else I try just seems to fall apart.

OK. You just have to calculate the additional displacement in the z direction after the atom leaves the magnet. This will be determined by the z-component of velocity and the time to get from the magnet to the detector. Since no force acts on the atom as it travels to the detector, the z-component of velocity will be constant and will equal whatever the z-component of velocity was at the instant the atom emerged from the magnet.

I'm not sure how to relate this to the field gradient though.

As a scientist, your response could be something like this:

To determine the field gradient of a Stern-Gerlach magnet, we need to consider the forces and velocities acting on the emitted silver atoms. From the given information, we can calculate the average kinetic energy of the atoms as 2kBT, where kB is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature of the oven. We can also use the Bohr magneton to calculate the magnetic dipole moment of the silver atom.

To produce a 1-mm separation at the detector, we can assume that the atoms travel a distance of 0.5 mm in the z-direction (dz) while in the field gradient of the magnet. Therefore, we can use the equation Fz=μ∂Bz/∂z, where Fz is the force acting on the atom in the z-direction, μ is the magnetic dipole moment of the atom, and ∂Bz/∂z is the field gradient.

We can also use the kinematic equation vz=azt1, where vz is the velocity of the atom in the z-direction, az is the acceleration in the z-direction, and t1 is the time the atom spends in the field gradient.

Combining these equations, we can solve for the field gradient as ∂Bz/∂z=(μazt1)/dz. Using the given information, we can calculate the time t1 as d1/√(4kBT/m), where d1 is the length of the magnet and m is the mass of the silver atom. Therefore, the field gradient can be calculated as ∂Bz/∂z=(μazd1)/√(4kBT/m)dz.

Substituting the values of μ and dz, we can calculate the field gradient for a 50-cm-long Stern-Gerlach magnet that would produce a 1-mm separation at the detector between spin-up and spin-down silver atoms emitted from an oven at T=1500 as ∂Bz/∂z≈(5.788×10-9eV/G)(azd1)/√(4kBT/m)(5x10-2cm). Further calculations can be done to obtain the exact value of the field gradient.

Related to Determing field gradient of Stern-Gerlach magnet

What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment and how does it work?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a classic physics experiment that involves passing a beam of particles through a magnetic field and observing the deflection of the particles. The experiment works by using a strong inhomogeneous magnetic field that causes particles to experience a force based on their magnetic moment, causing them to deflect in different directions.

How is the field gradient of a Stern-Gerlach magnet determined?

The field gradient of a Stern-Gerlach magnet is determined by measuring the deflection of particles passing through the magnet under different field strengths. By analyzing the deflection patterns, the field gradient can be calculated using the equation F = m*∇B, where F is the force on the particles, m is the magnetic moment, and ∇B is the field gradient.

What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the field gradient in a Stern-Gerlach magnet?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of determining the field gradient in a Stern-Gerlach magnet, including the strength and homogeneity of the magnetic field, the composition and properties of the particles being tested, and external influences such as temperature and vibrations. It is important to carefully control these factors in order to obtain accurate results.

Why is determining the field gradient of a Stern-Gerlach magnet important?

Determining the field gradient of a Stern-Gerlach magnet is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles in magnetic fields and to make accurate predictions about their motion. This information is crucial in many fields of science, including quantum mechanics, material science, and particle physics.

Are there any practical applications for the Stern-Gerlach experiment and measuring field gradients?

Yes, the Stern-Gerlach experiment and measuring field gradients have several practical applications. One example is in the development of magnetic materials and devices, such as computer hard drives and MRI machines. The experiment also has applications in quantum computing and in studying the properties of subatomic particles.

Back