Determining a statically indeterminate structure

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a truss structure is statically determinate or indeterminate. The consensus is that the external loading and reactions can be determined using equilibrium equations, but the internal forces are indeterminate due to a redundant member. Some formulas are mentioned for determining degrees of indeterminacy, and it is noted that the truss is statically indeterminate to the first degree.
eurekameh
193tab.png

Is this structure statically indeterminate? I'm thinking it actually statically determinate, since there are three unknowns (Ax, Bx, By) and three equations. The external loading Px, Py are known. I also solved for the forces in the members of the truss and they seem to work out, but my instructor solved it thinking it is statically indeterminate. Does anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
The reactions are statically determinate from the equilibrium equations, but looks like there's a reduntant member in there, making it internally statically indeterminate. To the first degree.

How are you determining this by just looking at the structure?
I'm not understanding how it's indeterminate when I can solve for all of the forces without a problem.

eurekameh said:
How are you determining this by just looking at the structure?
I'm not understanding how it's indeterminate when I can solve for all of the forces without a problem.
When you look at the structure, you can remove either a bottom chord, a top chord, or one of the diagonals, and the truss is still stable and now internally statically determinate and solvable by the equilibrium equations. I am not sure how you solved for your member forces with all members in there.

Ther are some formulas for determining degrees of indeterminancy that you must be careful when using. Like m + R - 2J , where m is the number of members, R is the number of support force components, and J is the number of joints. In this example, 6 + 3 - 8 = 1, so the truss is statically indeterminate to the first degree.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks. I removed one of the members by accident when I tried solving for them.

To clarify: Externally it is determinate and internally it is indeterminate.

Related to Determining a statically indeterminate structure

1. What is a statically indeterminate structure?

A statically indeterminate structure is a type of structure where the number of unknown forces and reactions is greater than the number of available equations of equilibrium. This means that the structure cannot be solved using traditional methods of statics alone.

2. How do you determine the degree of indeterminacy of a structure?

The degree of indeterminacy of a structure can be determined by counting the number of unknown forces and reactions and subtracting it from the number of available equations of equilibrium. The resulting number is the degree of indeterminacy.

3. What methods are used to analyze statically indeterminate structures?

There are several methods used to analyze statically indeterminate structures, including the force method, displacement method, and slope-deflection method. These methods involve solving simultaneous equations to determine the unknown forces and reactions in the structure.

4. What are the limitations of using the force method to analyze a statically indeterminate structure?

The force method can only be used for structures that have a determinate degree of freedom. It also assumes that the structure is linearly elastic and that the material properties are constant throughout the structure.

5. How can boundary conditions be used to solve a statically indeterminate structure?

Boundary conditions, such as fixed supports or roller supports, can be used to solve a statically indeterminate structure. These conditions provide additional equations that can be used to determine the unknown forces and reactions in the structure.