Determining Acceleration Using Kinetic and Static Frictional Force Coefficients

In summary, when the force is applied at an angle of 20 degrees, the block of mass will experience an acceleration of 0.500mg/s.
sb13

Homework Statement

There is an initially stationary block of mass m on a floor. A force of magnitude 0.500mg is then applied at upward angle θ = 20°. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block across the floor if (a)μs = 0.630 and μk = 0.540 and (b)μs = 0.400 and μk = 0.330?

Homework Equations

F= ma
Fk= ukFN
Fs= usFN

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that first I must determine FN, but I don't know how when the mass is m. How do I use that if it is not even a specific value? What do I do when the force is not in Newtons?
I know that to the get mg or gravitational force I would multiply the mass by 9.8, but I am confused about that mass just simply being m.
Then the Fnet,y = may
FN- (applied force which is 0.5 mg in this case... 0.5sin20)- Fg=ma
I don't know where to go from there...

Physics news on Phys.org
Since there is no way to calculate the mass with the given numbers, the answer would be in terms of m. There is nothing really confusing about it. Some problems just want the answers in terms of a variable or multiple variables. This happens to be one of those problems.

So, I understand that I will just be using variables for the mass, but I don't understand how I use the fk and fs to find the acceleration. Once I get FN= ((9.8)mg)- (0.5(mgsin20)) and then times it by the coefficient of fs then what am I supposed to do with the value of fs?

After looking at the problem more, I can see that the masses will cancel, so that is why the mass is given in terms of m.

sb13 said:
Once I get FN= ((9.8)mg)- (0.5(mgsin20)) and then times it by the coefficient of fs then what am I supposed to do with the value of fs?

I do not know how you got to this. It looks like you multiplied by gravity twice in that one part.

The first thing you need to do is to see if the force being applied will move the object at all. This is when you use the coefficient of static friction. If the frictional force is greater than the force being applied, then the object does not move.

If the force being applied is greater, then you will now see how much it accelerates. This is when you use the coefficient of kinetic friction. You now make an equation for Fnet. Remember that the frictional force will be subtracted from the force being applied.

Fnet also equals ma. This will allow you to cancel out all of the masses, leaving you will with an equation for acceleration.

Oh. I did multiply by gravity twice. Ok. Thank you!

Related to Determining Acceleration Using Kinetic and Static Frictional Force Coefficients

What is the purpose of determining acceleration using kinetic and static frictional force coefficients?

The purpose of determining acceleration using kinetic and static frictional force coefficients is to understand the relationship between the applied force and the resulting acceleration on an object. This information can be used to design and optimize systems involving friction, such as vehicles, machinery, and sports equipment.

What is the difference between kinetic and static frictional force coefficients?

Kinetic frictional force coefficient refers to the amount of frictional force between two surfaces in motion relative to each other, while static frictional force coefficient refers to the amount of force needed to overcome the initial resistance and start the motion between the two surfaces.

How do you calculate the acceleration using kinetic and static frictional force coefficients?

To calculate the acceleration, you need to first determine the net force acting on the object. This can be done by subtracting the force of friction (determined using the frictional force coefficients) from the applied force. Then, you can use Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) to calculate the acceleration, where F is the net force and m is the mass of the object.

What factors affect the kinetic and static frictional force coefficients?

The kinetic and static frictional force coefficients are affected by the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface). They may also be affected by temperature, humidity, and the presence of lubricants.

How can the results of determining acceleration using kinetic and static frictional force coefficients be applied in real life?

The results of this calculation can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. For example, understanding the frictional force coefficients can help engineers design more efficient machines and vehicles. In sports, it can help athletes optimize their movements and equipment for maximum performance. Additionally, this information can be used to improve safety measures in various industries, such as transportation and manufacturing.

Back