Determining altitude given velocities and mass

In summary, the pole vaulter, weighing 52 kg, runs at 10 m/s and vaults over the bar. Neglecting air resistance and energy absorbed by the pole, her altitude as she crosses the bar can be determined using the equation 1/2mv^2 = mgy + 1/2mv^2. Solving for y yields a height of approximately 4.95m.
mandy9008

Homework Statement

A 52 kg pole vaulter running at 10 m/s vaults over the bar. Her speed when she is above the bar is 1.3 m/s. Neglect air resistance, as well as any energy absorbed by the pole, and determine her altitude as she crosses the bar.

Homework Equations

1/2mv2 = mgy + 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2 (52kg)(10 m/s)2 = 52kg (9.8 m/s2) y + 1/2 (52kg)(1.3 m/s2)
y=51.8m

Physics news on Phys.org
1.3 m/s is the horizontal component of her velocity. Initial velocity is given. Find the vertical component of the velocity and then find the height.

1.3^2 + b^2 = 10^2
b=9.91

the equation i used was:
1/2 (52kg)(10 m/s)2 = 52kg (9.8 m/s2) y + 1/2 (52kg)(9.91 m/s2)
y=0.091m

Your initial equation is correct and it will give you 4.935m as the height for which she jumps. When looking into conservation of energy you do not deal with vectors only magnitudes.

how did you get 4.935m?

I just solved the equation you had in the beginning. I am pretty sure the method is correct, check your math.
1/2 (52kg)(10 m/s)2 = 52kg (9.8 m/s2) y + 1/2 (52kg)(1.3 m/s)^2, solve for y.

hmm, i must have put something in wrong. 4.935 was correct. Thanks

hmm I can't get 4.95..

i'm getting 5.01..

but your initial eq'n is right.

josh, i kept getting 5.01 as well

Related to Determining altitude given velocities and mass

1. How do you determine the altitude given velocities and mass?

Determining altitude involves using the equation: altitude = (velocity^2 * mass) / 2 * gravitational acceleration. This equation takes into account the velocity, mass, and gravitational acceleration to calculate the altitude.

2. What is the role of velocity in determining altitude?

Velocity is a crucial factor in determining altitude. The equation for altitude includes a term for velocity squared, meaning that velocity has a significant impact on the altitude calculation. The higher the velocity, the greater the altitude will be.

3. How does mass affect altitude determination?

The mass of an object also plays a role in determining altitude. According to the equation mentioned earlier, the higher the mass, the higher the altitude will be. This is because more massive objects have more energy and can reach higher velocities, resulting in a higher altitude.

4. What is the significance of gravitational acceleration in determining altitude?

Gravitational acceleration, also known as the acceleration due to gravity, is a crucial factor in determining altitude. This value is constant for a given location and affects the overall calculation of altitude. As the gravitational acceleration increases, the altitude will decrease.

5. Can altitude be determined without considering velocities and mass?

No, altitude cannot be determined without taking into account velocities and mass. These factors are essential in calculating altitude and cannot be ignored. Without considering these variables, the altitude determination would not be accurate or possible.