Determining Cable Tension in a Suspended Beam System

In summary, the conversation discusses a uniform beam supported by a pin and cable. Two masses, M1 and M2, are suspended from the beam and the question asks for the tension in the cable. The solution involves summing forces and torques, breaking the forces into components, and using an example from the textbook.
semaj810

Homework Statement

A uniform 20-kilogram beam is supported in a horizontal position by a pin and cable as shown in the figure. Masses M1 and M2 are suspended from the beam. If M1 = 40 kg and M2 = 20 kg, what is the tension in the cable?

Homework Equations

Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry. I can not see a figure so I have no idea what the situation is like :(

james, sum the forces and sum the torques.

Break the forces into X and y components before you set up your equations

Then figure out which forces actually have torque and set up a ∑tau equation for that. At that point just solve for T. There is an example in your textbook of a problem similar to this one, use that as a model.

Which example are you talking about?

semaj810 said:
Which example are you talking about?

the one with the man standing on the beam. the only difference is that now you have the forces from the two masses as opposed to just one from the man.

FAQ: Determining Cable Tension in a Suspended Beam System

What is cable tension?

Cable tension refers to the amount of force that is applied to a cable or rope in order to keep it taut and maintain its structural integrity.

Why is cable tension important?

Cable tension is important because it directly affects the performance and safety of structures that use cables, such as suspension bridges and cable cars. Proper tension ensures that the cables can support their intended loads and prevents them from breaking or sagging.

How is cable tension measured?

Cable tension can be measured using a variety of methods, including using tension gauges, strain gauges, or calculating it based on the weight and length of the cable.

What factors affect cable tension?

The tension of a cable can be affected by various factors, such as the weight and length of the cable, the temperature and weather conditions, and any external forces acting on the cable, such as wind or weight loads. The type and material of the cable can also impact its tension.

How is cable tension adjusted?

Cable tension can be adjusted by adding or removing weight from the cable, adjusting the supports or anchors, or using tensioning devices such as turnbuckles or hydraulic jacks. It is important to carefully calculate and monitor tension adjustments to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.