Determining coefficient of kinetic friction help

In summary, a 3.40 kg block is being pushed along the ceiling with a constant applied force of 85.0 N at an angle of 55.0° with the horizontal. The block accelerates to the right at 6.00 m/s2 and the goal is to determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and ceiling.
riseofphoenix
A 3.40 kg block is pushed along the ceiling with a constant applied force of 85.0 N that acts at an angle of 55.0° with the horizontal, as in the figure below. The block accelerates to the right at 6.00 m/s2. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and ceiling.

p4-60.gif
Ugghhh so... this is what I did...

F = 85.0 N
m = 3.40 kg
a = 6.00 m/s2
fk = μkn

1) Forces in the x-direction:
F cos θ
fk (kinetic friction)

Forces in the y-direction:
F sin θ
n (normal force)

2) Sum of forces

ƩFx = F cos θ + fk = 0
ƩFy = F sin θ + n = 0
ƩFy = F sin θ + n = 0
ƩFy = n = -F sin θ

3) ƩFx = F cos θ + μkn = 0
3) ƩFx = F cos θ + μk(-F sin θ) = 0
3) ƩFx = F cos θ + μk(-F sin θ) = 0
3) ƩFx = 85 cos 55 - μk(85 sin 55) = 0
3) ƩFx = 85 cos 55 = μk(85 sin 55)
3) ƩFx = (85 cos 55)/(85 sin 55) = μk
3) ƩFx = 0.700 = μk

So I got this wrong, the answer is actually 0.781 (?)

I don't know what to do!

Physics news on Phys.org
A 3.40 kg block is pushed along the ceiling with a constant applied force of 85.0 N that acts at an angle of 55.0° with the horizontal, as in the figure below. The block accelerates to the right at 6.00 m/s2. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and ceiling
-----------------------
It is accelerating, net Fx not zero.
The force applied is pressing the block to the ceiling. The weight is pulling it away.
I got this value - 0.78093138

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
A 3.40 kg block is pushed along the ceiling with a constant applied force of 85.0 N that acts at an angle of 55.0° with the horizontal, as in the figure below. The block accelerates to the right at 6.00 m/s2. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and ceiling
-----------------------
The force applied is pressing the block to the ceiling. The weight is pulling it away.
So is it supposed to be this?

ƩFx = F cos θ + μkn = 6

85 cos 55 + μk(-85 sin 55) = 6
85 cos 55 - μk(85 sin 55) = 6
85 cos 55 = 6 + μk(85 sin 55)
48.75 - 6 = 69.62μk
42.75/69.62 = μk
0.614 = μk

-____-

I didn't get that answer!
Can you please show me what you did?

Last edited:
Force of kinetic friction:
fk = μkn

Horizontal force of acceleration in the x-direction/Value of the bottom leg of the triangle:
Facceleration-x = Fa(cos θ)
Facceleration-x = 85(cos 55)
Facceleration-x = 48.75 N

Normal force n (value of the upright, vertical leg of the triangle):
n = Facceleration-y(sin θ) + mg
n = 85(sin 55) + (3.40 kg)(6.00 m/s2)
n = 69.62 + 20.4
n = 90.02 N

fk = μkn
48.75 = μk(90.02)
48.75/90.02 = μk
0.541 = μk

aksjflkjadsfjds -____-
Help?

azizlwl said:
-----------------------

You were completely wrong.
Net force doesn't equal 6.
Thanks for nothing.

riseofphoenix said:
You were completely wrong.
Net force doesn't equal 6.
Thanks for nothing.

I not sure whether you read the question.
I just copy and paste the original question you posted and just underlined it.

riseofphoenix said:
A 3.40 kg block is pushed along the ceiling with a constant applied force of 85.0 N that acts at an angle of 55.0° with the horizontal, as in the figure below. The block accelerates to the right at 6.00 m/s2. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and ceiling.

Here your original question and i underlined it.

FAQ: Determining coefficient of kinetic friction help

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and can range from 0 to 1, with 0 indicating no friction and 1 indicating maximum friction.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction determined?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be done through experiments such as using an inclined plane or a friction tester.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction measures the amount of friction between two stationary surfaces, while the coefficient of kinetic friction measures the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

5. Why is it important to determine the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Knowing the coefficient of kinetic friction is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It can help in designing and improving machines, predicting the motion of objects, and selecting appropriate materials for different applications.

Back