Determining Concentration of a Tank (Using Linear Differential EQ)

The setup is $$\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}(400-6t)\left(\frac{x}{400-6t}\right)=\frac{dx/dt}{400-6t}+\frac{6x}{(400-6t)^2}.$$ The first term on the right is $$-4\left(\frac{x}{400-6t}\right),$$ and the second term on the right is $$-\frac{6x}{400-6t}.$$ So, substituting, we have $$\frac{dx}{dt}=-4\left(\frac{x}{400-6t}\right)-\frac{6x}{400-6t}
QuantumChemist

Homework Statement

The problem states that we have a tank with a capacity of 400L filled with a mixture that has a concentration of 0.05g Chlorine per Liter. The concentration is reduced by pumping in pure water (zero concentration of chlorine), at a rate of 4L/s, and pumped out at 10L sec.

Homework Equations

I know that the rate of change in concentration is equal to the rate in minus the rate out.

The Attempt at a Solution

The rate of concentration input is zero since it's pure water, and I set the concentration of mixture out at x/(400-6t) since the volume is decreasing at some concentration at 6L per second due to the larger amount of mixture being pumped out. So the equation is then dx/dt=0.05-x/(400-6t), at least from what I understand.

Then, using the Linear Differential EQ method, I found I(x)=(400-6t)^-6. Multiplying both sides of the equation, I get (400-6t)^2(dx/dt)+(400-6t)^-7x=0.05(400-6t). The left side is suppose to resemble the product rule, but I'm thinking I really messed something up at some point.

Could someone point out my mistake so I can do a retake? Sorry if this is hard to read, I'm not good at inputting equations. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumChemist said:

Homework Statement

The problem states that we have a tank with a capacity of 400L filled with a mixture that has a concentration of 0.05g Chlorine per Liter. The concentration is reduced by pumping in pure water (zero concentration of chlorine), at a rate of 4L/s, and pumped out at 10L sec.

Homework Equations

I know that the rate of change in concentration is equal to the rate in minus the rate out.

The Attempt at a Solution

The rate of concentration input is zero since it's pure water, and I set the concentration of mixture out at x/(400-6t) since the volume is decreasing at some concentration at 6L per second due to the larger amount of mixture being pumped out. So the equation is then dx/dt=0.05-x/(400-6t), at least from what I understand.
You're saying the concentration of chlorine the mixture is equal to
$$\frac{x}{400-6t}.$$ Since V=400-6t is the volume of the liquid in the tank, ##x## must represent the total amount of chlorine in the tank. In that case, the units on the lefthand side would be g/s, but on the righthand side, the units would be g/L. The two sides of your equation can't be equal.

At what rate is chlorine leaving the tank when the concentration is x/(400-6t)? That's what you want to set equal to dx/dt.

Then, using the Linear Differential EQ method, I found I(x)=(400-6t)^-6. Multiplying both sides of the equation, I get (400-6t)^2(dx/dt)+(400-6t)^-7x=0.05(400-6t). The left side is suppose to resemble the product rule, but I'm thinking I really messed something up at some point.

Could someone point out my mistake so I can do a retake? Sorry if this is hard to read, I'm not good at inputting equations. Thanks for any help.
I couldn't follow what you did here, but I think you're trying to use an integrating factor. The correct differential equation is separable, so you shouldn't need to use this technique.

FAQ: Determining Concentration of a Tank (Using Linear Differential EQ)

What is a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is an equation that involves a dependent variable, its derivatives with respect to an independent variable, and possibly the independent variable itself, all with coefficients that are constants or functions of the independent variable.

How is a tank's concentration determined using a linear differential equation?

A tank's concentration can be determined using a linear differential equation by setting up an equation that describes the rate of change of the concentration with respect to time. This equation can then be solved to find the concentration at any given time.

What factors can affect the accuracy of determining a tank's concentration using a linear differential equation?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of determining a tank's concentration using a linear differential equation include the initial conditions, the accuracy of the measurements used in the equation, and any assumptions made in the model.

What are the limitations of using a linear differential equation to determine concentration of a tank?

Linear differential equations assume a constant rate of change, so they may not accurately model tanks where the concentration is changing at a non-constant rate. Additionally, they may not account for factors such as mixing or chemical reactions within the tank.

Can linear differential equations be used to determine concentration in tanks with irregular shapes or sizes?

Yes, linear differential equations can be used to determine concentration in tanks with irregular shapes or sizes as long as the equation takes into account the varying dimensions and flow rates within the tank.