Determining Distance and Final Velocity for an Object with 3D Vectors

In summary, the object has an initial velocity of 10m/s in the x and y directions and an acceleration of 10 m/s^2 in the z direction for 10 seconds. The final velocity of the object is 10i + 10j + 100k. The distance traveled by the object in 10 seconds is approximately 500m from the origin, and the distance from the z axis is approximately 141.42m.
fubag
An object has an initial velocity given by V = vi + vj, where v=10m/s. If an acceleration of A = ak, where a = 10 m/s^2 is applied for 10 seconds determine the final velocity for the object.

How far did the object travel in 10s?

How far from the z axis is the object?

Well to start. I used the equation:
Vf = Vi + at
Vf = (10i + 10j) + (10k)(10s)
Vf = 10i + 10j + 100k

Then to determine distance, I used:
D^2 = (change in x)^2 + (change in y)^2 + (change in z)^2
so.

D = sqrt.(10,200) m?
I am not sure if I calculated this right.

Then for the last part of the question, I am not really sure how to determine this. I know that the object moved 100m in the x direction, and 100m in the y direction, and I think it moved 500m in the z direction given the Vf= 100m/s in z direction and Vi = 0m/s in z direction.

So I am assuming we have to use pythagorean theorem again? I am not sure. Please help, and comment on any of the previous answers please.

Physics news on Phys.org
for the second part, i think you should use
s = ut + half*at^2 to find its position vector and then use the distance formula to find its distance from the origin.

for the third part, that will be the z-component of the above position vector that you find.

so if I use that equation:

i get:

s(t) = 100i + 100j + 500K

D = sqrt. (270,000) m?Then for distance from z axis is simply sqrt. (500) m?

i did a mistake here.

for the second part, i guess so...

for the third part, it is square root of (x-component^2+y-component^2) = sqrt(10000+10000). if you draw the final coordinate of the particle, i think you will see why.

i am not really understanding how you determined the 3rd part...The way you did it, it simply looks like the displacement between the x and y components...not the distance from the z axis.

FAQ: Determining Distance and Final Velocity for an Object with 3D Vectors

1. What are 3D vectors and how are they different from 2D vectors?

3D vectors are mathematical objects that represent a magnitude and direction in three-dimensional space. They are different from 2D vectors in that they have three components (x, y, and z) instead of just two (x and y).

2. How are 3D vectors represented and manipulated in mathematical equations?

3D vectors are typically represented using the notation (x, y, z), where x, y, and z are the components of the vector. They can be manipulated using various mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication.

3. What are the different types of 3D vectors?

There are three main types of 3D vectors: position vectors, displacement vectors, and direction vectors. Position vectors represent a specific point in space, displacement vectors represent the change in position between two points, and direction vectors represent a direction without a specific starting point.

4. How are 3D vectors used in computer graphics and animation?

3D vectors are essential in computer graphics and animation as they are used to represent the position, orientation, and movement of objects in three-dimensional space. They are also used in lighting and shading calculations to create realistic images.

5. Can 3D vectors be used in real-world applications?

Yes, 3D vectors are used in many real-world applications such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They are also used in GPS technology to determine location and direction. Additionally, they are used in robotics for motion planning and control.

Back