Determining error in a linear gradient/slope

In summary, the speaker is writing a lab report and needs to determine the error in the value of their graphs gradient, m. They have found the maximum and minimum gradient from the 'worst' lines of fit, but are unsure of how to proceed. The data in y is given with an error of standard deviation, and the x values do not need to be considered. The accuracy of the measuring device used for the data was to the nearest 0.25 m, and the error was calculated using a formula involving the average and squared error. The speaker is seeking clarification on how to interpret this type of error notation.
Harry Smith
Hi, so I'm currently writing a lab report and need to determine the error in the value of my graphs gradient, m. I have found the maximum and minimum gradient from the 'worst' lines of fit but am lost where to go from there. My data analysis/statistics lecture notes are no help on this topic, neither is Google. It seems like it should be an easy topic!

m = 11.20 m2
mmin = 9.79 m2
mmax = 12.06 m2

and I've found the mean gradient and its deviation (though this is little use)

mavg = (11.20 ± 1.14) m2

The data in y is
11.39 ± 1.67
21.39 ± 2.29
33.06 ± 2.85
47.27 ± 3.40
56.25 ± 3.71
66.02 ± 4.02

(all in m2)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Harry Smith said:
Hi, so I'm currently writing a lab report and need to determine the error in the value of my graphs gradient, m.

What you mean by "error"? One sees quantities in reports given in notation like "9.35 +/- 2.61", but unfortunately, I know of no standard interpretation for this notation. Such notation often means that the measurements have a mean value of 9.35 and a standard deviation of 2.61. However, sometimes the notation means that the measured quantity is known (with certainty) to be between the stated limits.

I have found the maximum and minimum gradient from the 'worst' lines of fit but am lost where to go from there.

I'm lost as to how you would define a "worst" line of fit. However, your remark at least reveals that you are fitting linear graphs to the data.
The data in y is
11.39 ± 1.67
21.39 ± 2.29
33.06 ± 2.85
47.27 ± 3.40
56.25 ± 3.71
66.02 ± 4.02

(all in m2)

Why didn't you state the x values?

Does your data consist of many individual measurements of (x,y)? For example, assuming the y value 21.39 is for x = 1, do you have many different measurements like (1,22.28), (1,18.33)... ? Or do you have just one measurement (1,21.39) and are getting the +/- 2.29 from some manufacturers specification for the measuring device?

By error I mean standard deviation. Apologies.

By worst line of fit I mean the maximum mmax or minimum mmin possible gradient achievable from the set of data within the bounds of the error.

The x values are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 with no error so it needn't be considered.

The ± 2.29 originates from the datum it corresponds with. The accuracy of the measuring device was to the nearest 0.25 m. The datum were then averaged, with error Δr of
[itex]\Delta r = \sqrt{2 \cdot (0.25)^2}[/itex]​
This was then squared, with error Δr2 of
[itex]\Delta r ^2 = r ^2 \cdot \sqrt{2 (\frac{\Delta r}{r}) ^2}[/itex]​
where r2 = y.

Hope that cleared it up.

Harry Smith said:
The accuracy of the measuring device was to the nearest 0.25 m. The datum were then averaged, with error Δr of
[itex]\Delta r = \sqrt{2 \cdot (0.25)^2}[/itex]​
This was then squared, with error Δr2 of
[itex]\Delta r ^2 = r ^2 \cdot \sqrt{2 (\frac{\Delta r}{r}) ^2}[/itex]​
where r2 = y.

I don't understand those calculations. Is the accuracy of measuring device given as a "percentage error" instead of an error in meters?

Stephen Tashi said:
I don't understand those calculations. Is the accuracy of measuring device given as a "percentage error" instead of an error in meters?
It can be given as either. Percentage error just represents the percentage of the deviation from the value.

Related to Determining error in a linear gradient/slope

1. How do you calculate the error in a linear gradient/slope?

To calculate the error in a linear gradient/slope, you will need to first determine the standard error of the slope. This can be done by dividing the standard deviation of the y values by the standard deviation of the x values. The result is the standard error of the slope.

2. What is the significance of determining error in a linear gradient/slope?

Determining error in a linear gradient/slope is important because it allows us to understand the uncertainty or variability in our data. This helps in making more accurate predictions and drawing more reliable conclusions from the data.

3. What factors can affect the error in a linear gradient/slope?

There are several factors that can affect the error in a linear gradient/slope. These include the number of data points, the precision of the measurements, and the presence of outliers or influential data points. Additionally, the type of regression model used can also impact the error calculation.

4. Can the error in a linear gradient/slope be reduced?

Yes, the error in a linear gradient/slope can be reduced by increasing the number of data points, improving the precision of measurements, and identifying and removing any outliers or influential data points. Additionally, using a more complex regression model can also help reduce the error.

5. How can we interpret the error in a linear gradient/slope?

The error in a linear gradient/slope can be interpreted as a measure of the accuracy of our data. A smaller error indicates a more precise and accurate slope estimate, while a larger error indicates more variability and uncertainty in the slope. It is important to consider the error when making conclusions or predictions based on the linear gradient/slope.