Determining Forces on Pipes and Rollers - Get Help Here!

In summary: The distance between the points would need to be measured in order to determine the torques involved.
TSN79
The drawing below shows two pipes lying on top of each other. Forces act on the different contact points, and I am to determine these as a result of the pipes' weight G. I'm able to do this graphically, but not by calculation.

Next up is a similar problem, I'm to determine the forces at A and B, where B is a roller. Here I'm able to do it analytically, but not graphically.

If someone could help me I'd really appreciate it :smile:

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 423
  • beam.jpg
    beam.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the second problem so I will try and point you in the right direction on the first: Consider each pipe as a free body and recall that you can sum up forces whose lines of action pass through a common point which, because I am assuming no friction (because you didn't mention any) and the fact that all surfaces are tangential, is the center of each pipe.

Looks like a simple torque questio to me. What do you mean by a 'roller' at B? Which way can it rotate?

~H

A roller is a type of connection. Just terminology. It only has a normal force.

cyrusabdollahi said:
A roller is a type of connection. Just terminology. It only has a normal force.

Ahh, thank you cyrus. I apologise for my ignorace; I've never heard of the term before, it is a term specific to engineering?

To TSN
In light of cyrus' information, this question is definatly a simple torque question.

~H

I know it's a question of torque, but I can't figure out how to solve it graphically. In a graphical solution all the forces need to make an enclosed polygon, which you can use to measure the length (and therefore their magnetude). But here I can't seem to make that work.

TSN79 said:
In a graphical solution all the forces need to make an enclosed polygon, which you can use to measure the length (and therefore their magnetude). But here I can't seem to make that work.

This method does not work with torques I'm afraid. Is it a requirment that you solve it graphically?

~H

Well, the book says to find the reactions by A and B graphically...there is no way?

TSN79 said:
Well, the book says to find the reactions by A and B graphically...there is no way?

I Suppose one could measure the distances and length of F to find the torqures involved but this still would required some calculation, would this be considered graphically by your book?

~H

For the second problem, you will need to know or then assume a distance from A where the force is located before you can solve the problem.

civil_dude said:
For the second problem, you will need to know or then assume a distance from A where the force is located before you can solve the problem.

Thats what I meant when I said measure. That is ofcourse assuming that the diagram is drawn to scale.

~H

FAQ: Determining Forces on Pipes and Rollers - Get Help Here!

1. How are forces determined on pipes and rollers?

Forces on pipes and rollers can be determined through various methods, such as using equations of motion, free body diagrams, and by measuring the applied loads and reactions. It is important to consider all external forces, such as weight, pressure, and friction, as well as internal forces, such as tension and compression.

2. What factors affect the forces on pipes and rollers?

The forces on pipes and rollers are affected by several factors, including the type of material, the dimensions and shape of the pipe or roller, the type of support and loading, and the environment in which it is used. These factors can impact the strength and stability of the pipe or roller and must be considered in determining the forces acting on it.

3. How do you calculate the forces on a pipe or roller?

The forces on a pipe or roller can be calculated using equations of motion, such as Newton's second law, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By breaking down the forces into their components and considering the equilibrium of the system, the forces on the pipe or roller can be determined.

4. Can computer simulations be used to determine forces on pipes and rollers?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to determine forces on pipes and rollers. These simulations use mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the behavior of the pipe or roller under different loading and environmental conditions. This can be a useful tool in predicting the forces on the pipe or roller and designing it to withstand those forces.

5. Why is it important to determine the forces on pipes and rollers?

Determining the forces on pipes and rollers is crucial in ensuring their structural integrity and safety. By understanding the forces acting on the pipe or roller, engineers can design it to withstand those forces and prevent failure. This is particularly important in industries such as construction, transportation, and manufacturing where pipes and rollers are used for various purposes and must be able to withstand different types of forces.