Determining How Long My Gas Cylinder Will Last

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the duration of an argon gas cylinder for tig welding. The cylinder contains 1.32m³ (1320L) of Argon at 137 bar (13.7 MPa) and the flow rate is 4cfh (113.28L/h). By using Boyle's Law, the volume is calculated to be 361,680L and with a flow rate of 113.28L/h, it is expected to last approximately 3192hrs. However, there may be a more accurate way to calculate this.
cosmarchy
I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to post but here goes :wink:

I'm trying to determine how long my argon gas cylinder will last when I am using it for tig welding.

The cylinder is supplied with 1.32m³ (1320L) of Argon at 137 bar (13.7 MPa).

If I set my regulator pressure to 0.5 bar (0.050 MPa) and re-arrange Boyles Law P1V1=P2V2 so that V2=V1/(P2/P1) I will get a volume of 361,680L.
With a flowrate of 4cfh (113.28L/h) I would expect 361,680L / 113.28L/h to last approx 3192hrs.

Does this sound right - seems ludicrously high to me? Was it the correct way or is there a better / more accurate way, I should have done this?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The answer is in your question. You have 1320 L of gas. Your flow rate is 113 L/hr. You have just over ten hours of gas flow rate.

In other words: 1.32 m3 is not the cylinder volume (it would be enormously huge), but the decompressed gas volume.

Related to Determining How Long My Gas Cylinder Will Last

1. How do I calculate how long my gas cylinder will last?

To calculate how long your gas cylinder will last, you will need to know the capacity of your cylinder (in pounds or gallons), the pressure of the gas in the cylinder (in psi), and the flow rate of the gas (in cubic feet per minute). Then, you can use the formula: time (in minutes) = (cylinder capacity x pressure) / flow rate. This will give you an estimate of how many minutes your gas cylinder will last.

2. What factors can affect the duration of my gas cylinder?

There are several factors that can affect the duration of your gas cylinder. These include the type of gas being used, the temperature and pressure of the environment, the size and condition of the cylinder, and the flow rate of the gas. It is important to consider all of these factors when determining how long your gas cylinder will last.

3. How do I know when my gas cylinder needs to be refilled?

The most accurate way to determine when your gas cylinder needs to be refilled is to weigh it. Most gas cylinders have the weight of the empty cylinder and the weight of the full cylinder marked on them. By subtracting the weight of the empty cylinder from the weight of the full cylinder, you can determine how much gas is left. You can also estimate the remaining gas by using a pressure gauge, but this may not be as accurate.

4. Can I extend the duration of my gas cylinder?

In most cases, the duration of your gas cylinder is determined by the volume of gas it can hold and the flow rate of the gas. However, there are some steps you can take to extend the duration of your gas cylinder. These include using a lower flow rate, keeping the cylinder in a cool environment, and properly maintaining the cylinder to prevent leakage.

5. What should I do if my gas cylinder runs out unexpectedly?

If your gas cylinder runs out unexpectedly, it is important to follow proper safety precautions. First, turn off any equipment that is connected to the cylinder. Then, carefully disconnect the cylinder and store it in a well-ventilated area. Do not attempt to refill the cylinder yourself, instead take it to a qualified professional for refilling.