Determining Likelihood of Divergance

• Thread starter Aston08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Likelihood
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a more effective method of filtering false signals in determining the directional trend of a signal line. Suggestions were given for using a median filter to remove spiked noise without changing the signal. The individual also mentioned another thread on a different board where they were asking about the mathematical concept related to their issue.
Aston08
Currently utilizing very simple logic in determining the directional trend of a signal line, and was hoping someone might be able to offer a suggestion as to a more effective method of filtering false signals.

As it stands the logic being used for determining the direction of a trend is if the prior data point's (generally 1-2) value are less than the current bar it signals an up trend and vice versus. The issue I am having is the sensitivity of the logic is such that tiny spikes aren't being completely smoothed out by the moving average.

Any suggestions on what might be a more effective way to qualify the variation's likelihood for divergance? Possibly a minimum threshold for slope or percentage change?

MovingAverage.jpg

The areas of issue are those circled in red ... the sharp transitions like the type highlighted by the blue arrow are more valid.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Aston08! :smile:

I recommend using a median filter.
It's perfect for removing spiked noise without changing the signal.

It means replacing each point by the middle value of the point and its neighbours.

Thanks for the help ...that was just about what I was looking for.

You're welcome! :)

I see you have another thread that seems similar.
I did not respond since I simply did not understand what you were saying and what you were asking.

Can it be that the median filter also helps you with that thread?

I was basically asking what type of math the issue most likely applied to...didn't get any responses so I posted it written a little differently here on the physics board.

Related to Determining Likelihood of Divergance

What is the purpose of determining the likelihood of divergence?

The purpose of determining the likelihood of divergence is to understand the relationships between different species and their evolutionary history. This can help us to better understand how species have changed over time and how they are related to one another.

How is the likelihood of divergence calculated?

The likelihood of divergence is typically calculated using statistical models that take into account genetic data from multiple species. These models use complex algorithms to estimate the probability of divergence based on the genetic similarities and differences between species.

What factors can influence the likelihood of divergence?

The likelihood of divergence can be influenced by various factors such as geographic separation, genetic variation, and environmental conditions. Additionally, natural selection and genetic drift can also play a role in the likelihood of divergence between species.

How accurate are the predictions of likelihood of divergence?

The accuracy of the predictions of likelihood of divergence can vary depending on the quality and quantity of genetic data used, as well as the complexity of the statistical models used. Generally, the more data and the more accurate the models, the more accurate the predictions will be.

Why is it important to determine the likelihood of divergence?

Determining the likelihood of divergence can provide valuable insights into the evolutionary history of species and can help us to better understand the processes that drive biological diversity. This information can also be used to inform conservation efforts and manage species populations.