Determining linear transformation

In summary: I'm just trying to do my homework the best I can. Anyways, I'll try to be more careful in the future.
negation

Homework Statement

T4 : R3 -> R4 is defined by T4(x1, x2, x3) = (0, x1, -3 + |x1|, x1 + x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that T4(γ1x1 + γ2x2 + γ3x3) is a linear transformation IFF
γ1.T4(x1) + γ2.T4(x2) + γ3.T4(x3)

T4(λ10 + λ2x1 + λ3(-3+|x1|) = λ1.T4(0) + λ2.T4(x1) + λ3.T4(-3 + |x1|)

T4(λ2x1 + λ3(-3 + |x1|) = λ2.T4(x1) + λ3.T4(-3 + |x1|)

λ2.T4(x1) + λ3.T4(-3 + |x1|) = λ2.T4(x1) + λ3.T4(-3 + |x1|)

I get a feeling I might be comitting a circular argument with the above proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:

Homework Statement

That's not much of a problem statement! You define T4 but do not say what you are to do with it! From what you do below, it looks like the problem is to determine whether or not T4 is a linear transformation.

This makes no sense because you cannot apply T4 to numbers and you have already said that x1, x2, and x3 are numbers, not vectors in R3.

What you want to show is that T4(au+ bv)= T4(a(x1, x2, x3)+ b(y1, y2, y3)= T4(ax1+ by1, ax2+ by2, ax3+ by3)= aT(x1, x2, x3)+ bT(y1, y2, y3).

You are completely confused as to how T4 is defined!

What is T4(ax1+ by1, ax2+ by2, ax3+ by3)?

What are aT4(x1, x2, x3) and bT4(y1, y2, y3)?

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
That's not much of a problem statement! You define T4 but do not say what you are to do with it! From what you do below, it looks like the problem is to determine whether or not T4 is a linear transformation.

This makes no sense because you cannot apply T4 to numbers and you have already said that x1, x2, and x3 are numbers, not vectors in R3.

What you want to show is that T4(au+ bv)= T4(a(x1, x2, x3)+ b(y1, y2, y3)= T4(ax1+ by1, ax2+ by2, ax3+ by3)= aT(x1, x2, x3)+ bT(y1, y2, y3).

You are completely confused as to how T4 is defined!

What is T4(ax1+ by1, ax2+ by2, ax3+ by3)?

What are aT4(x1, x2, x3) and bT4(y1, y2, y3)?

Terrible. I didnt realize they were numbers. Let me rework.

You said T4 was applied to R3 and then gave a formula for T4(x1, x2, x3). If (x1, x2, x3) is in R3 the each of x1, x2, and x3 must be in R- a number.

negation said:

Homework Statement

T4 is the transformation. As HallsOfIvy already said, T4(γ1x1 + γ2x2 + γ3x3) doesn't make any sense, nor do T4(x1), T4(x2), or T4(x3). The usual formulation that I remember is that T is a linear transformation if T(cx) = cT(x) and T(x + y) = T(x) + T(y), where x and y are vectors in the domain space, and c is a scalar.

Also, it would be helpful to us if you learned how to make subscripts, using either LaTeX or the commands that are part of the advanced menu.

In LaTex you can do this:
Code:
##c_1x_1##
which renders like this: ##c_1x_1##

From the advanced menu (click the Go Advanced button to open it), click the X2 button. This button puts [ sub ] and [ /sub ] tags (without the extra spaces) around the exponent.
which renders like this
negation said:
Try to be more careful in what you type. As I read the line above, it took me awhile to figure out that λ10 and T4(0) were really λ1x0 and T4(x0). If you can't be bothered to check what you've written, why should we go out of our way to figure out what you really meant?
negation said:

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
T4 is the transformation. As HallsOfIvy already said, T4(γ1x1 + γ2x2 + γ3x3) doesn't make any sense, nor do T4(x1), T4(x2), or T4(x3). The usual formulation that I remember is that T is a linear transformation if T(cx) = cT(x) and T(x + y) = T(x) + T(y), where x and y are vectors in the domain space, and c is a scalar.

Also, it would be helpful to us if you learned how to make subscripts, using either LaTeX or the commands that are part of the advanced menu.

In LaTex you can do this:
Code:
##c_1x_1##
which renders like this: ##c_1x_1##

From the advanced menu (click the Go Advanced button to open it), click the X2 button. This button puts [ sub ] and [ /sub ] tags (without the extra spaces) around the exponent.
which renders like this
Try to be more careful in what you type. As I read the line above, it took me awhile to figure out that λ10 and T4(0) were really λ1x0 and T4(x0). If you can't be bothered to check what you've written, why should we go out of our way to figure out what you really meant?

I apologize for all the nitty gritty mistakes. I'm trying to learn as much as I can and in the process (lots of anxieties), I have a greater disposition to overlook the nitty gritty stuffs.

In any case, I've solve the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You said T4 was applied to R3 and then gave a formula for T4(x1, x2, x3). If (x1, x2, x3) is in R3 the each of x1, x2, and x3 must be in R- a number.

And then it conveniently slip my mind. It's so easy to overlook the information and take the real number as vectors in the midst of rushing to solve the problem.
I'll be more careful.

FAQ: Determining linear transformation

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the basic algebraic structure. In simpler terms, it is a transformation that takes a set of points and transforms them in a way that maintains parallel lines and the origin.

2. How do you determine if a transformation is linear?

To determine if a transformation is linear, it must satisfy two conditions: 1) the transformation must preserve addition, meaning that the sum of two transformed vectors must be equal to the transformation of the sum of the original vectors, and 2) the transformation must preserve scalar multiplication, meaning that multiplying a vector by a scalar and then transforming it must be equal to transforming the vector first and then multiplying it by the same scalar.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation maintains the properties of parallel lines and the origin, while a non-linear transformation does not. In other words, a linear transformation preserves the basic algebraic structure, while a non-linear transformation does not.

4. How do you represent a linear transformation?

A linear transformation can be represented using a matrix. The columns of the matrix represent the transformation of the basis vectors, and the result of multiplying the matrix by a vector is the transformed vector.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations are used in various fields, such as computer graphics, engineering, economics, and physics. They are used to represent rotations, scaling, and shearing in computer graphics, to model physical systems in engineering, to analyze supply and demand in economics, and to describe the motion of objects in physics.

Back