Determining Magnetic Field Direction

In summary, the individual is attempting to determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force experienced while running in Vancouver after gaining a few electrons. They have calculated the magnetic field vector using a magnetic field calculator and have assumed their own vector to be (4, 0, 0) in the west direction. They also attempted to use a cross product equation to determine the direction of the magnetic field, resulting in a value of (-203960j + 20584k) nT. However, it is not specified which direction the individual is running in, so a specific direction cannot be determined at this time. Additionally, the individual did not provide any relevant equations or the dimension the answer should have.
Spackle

Homework Statement

If you were to gain a few electrons and go running in Vancouver, what would be the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force that you would experience?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was able to determine the magnetic force but my only problem is determining the direction. What I think is the magnetic field vector is (17624, 5146, 50990) nT. I got this value from the magnetic field calculator by plugging in the latitude and longitude coordinates. The vector that I am assuming for me is (4, 0, 0). What I attempted to do was using the cross product equation to determine the direction of the magnetic field. What I get when I did the cross product as (-203960j + 20584k) nT. Please tell me if I am on the right track, greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spackle said:

Homework Statement

If you were to gain a few electrons and go running in Vancouver, what would be the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force that you would experience?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was able to determine the magnetic force but my only problem is determining the direction. What I think is the magnetic field vector is (17624, 5146, 50990) nT. I got this value from the magnetic field calculator by plugging in the latitude and longitude coordinates. The vector that I am assuming for me is (4, 0, 0). What I attempted to do was using the cross product equation to determine the direction of the magnetic field. What I get when I did the cross product as (-203960j + 20584k) nT. Please tell me if I am on the right track, greatly appreciated.
Is the (4,0,0) a velocity or a current, and in what units?
What dimension should the answer have?
Is the x coordinate EW or NS, or something else? The question does not indicate the direction of run, but I suggest you choose that to maximise the force magnitude.

haruspex said:
Is the (4,0,0) a velocity or a current, and in what units?
What dimension should the answer have?
Is the x coordinate EW or NS, or something else? The question does not indicate the direction of run, but I suggest you choose that to maximise the force magnitude.
It is velocity (m/s) and the direction of the run would be in the west direction.

Spackle said:
It is velocity (m/s) and the direction of the run would be in the west direction.
You did not quote any relevant equations. You mentioned a cross product equation. What, exactly, does that equation say? Pay attention to what the variables represent.
You did not answer my question about the dimension the answer should have. You quoted units of nT, but you are asked for a force.

FAQ: Determining Magnetic Field Direction

1. How do you determine the direction of a magnetic field?

To determine the direction of a magnetic field, you can use a compass or a magnetometer. Place the compass or magnetometer near the magnetic field and observe the direction in which the needle or sensor points. This will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

2. What is the difference between magnetic north and geographic north?

Magnetic north is the direction that a compass or magnetometer points towards, while geographic north is the direction towards the Earth's geographic North Pole. The two directions may differ due to the Earth's magnetic field being slightly tilted and constantly changing.

3. How does the Earth's magnetic field affect compasses?

The Earth's magnetic field causes compass needles to align with the field, pointing towards magnetic north. This allows compasses to be used for navigation and determining direction. However, the Earth's magnetic field can vary in strength and direction at different locations, which can affect the accuracy of a compass.

4. Can the direction of a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the direction of a magnetic field can be changed by applying a strong enough external magnetic field. This is known as magnetization and is used in many practical applications, such as magnetizing metals to create magnets.

5. How is the direction of a magnetic field measured?

The direction of a magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device uses sensors to detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a specific location. The data collected by the magnetometer can then be used to create a map of the magnetic field's direction and strength.

Back