Determining molecular resonance frequencies

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of calculating resonance frequencies of complex molecules, particularly in the context of targeting specific components of a larger molecule for manipulation. However, the concept is not well-defined in the scientific community and may not be applicable to living cells. The question is then clarified to refer to electronic frequencies of specific proteins or simple structures like H2O.
Cloud Wolf
I have been searching for ways to calculate resonance frequencies of complex molecules. I know that doing so is extremely complex, especially if that molecule contains many elements, but perhaps it could be feasible to target a specific component of a large molecule, such as a nucleus in a cell, through means of resonant frequencies thus being able to split or manipulate the molecular structure. I would be grateful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question doesn't make much sense from the viewpoint of hard science, where terms are defined in an exact way. A molecule has rotational, vibrational, electronic and nuclear resonance frequencies and all of them are calculated/estimated with different methods. A living (animal, plant, fungus, bacterial) cell is definitely not a single molecule.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say the electronic frequency of a specific protein within a molecule, or a simple structure like H2O, however I would prefer not to discus H2O since many have already found this

Related to Determining molecular resonance frequencies

What is molecular resonance frequency?

Molecular resonance frequency is the specific frequency at which a molecule vibrates most easily. It is determined by the molecular structure and the strength of the bonds between atoms in the molecule.

Why is determining molecular resonance frequency important?

Determining molecular resonance frequency is important for understanding the physical and chemical properties of a molecule. It can also help in identifying and characterizing unknown compounds, as well as predicting how a molecule will interact with other molecules.

How is molecular resonance frequency determined?

Molecular resonance frequency is typically determined through spectroscopic techniques such as infrared or Raman spectroscopy. These techniques involve shining light of different frequencies on the molecule and measuring the absorbance or scattering of the light to determine the frequencies at which the molecule resonates.

What factors can affect molecular resonance frequency?

The molecular structure, bond strength, and molecular weight are all factors that can affect molecular resonance frequency. Additionally, the presence of nearby atoms or molecules can also influence the frequency at which a molecule vibrates.

What are some applications of knowing molecular resonance frequency?

Knowing molecular resonance frequency can be useful in various fields such as chemistry, materials science, and pharmaceuticals. It can also be used in quality control and analysis of products, as well as in the development of new technologies such as sensors and detectors.