Determining momentum from energy?

In summary, the momentum of a proton with 800MeV of kinetic energy is 5.7985*10^-6 GeV. The total energy of the proton, including its rest energy, is 1739.57 MeV. The equation used to solve this problem is E^2=p^2c^2+m^2c^4, where E is the total energy, p is the momentum, c is the speed of light, and m is the mass of the proton.
Physics...blah

Homework Statement

What is the momentum of a proton with 800MeV of kinetic energy?

Homework Equations

E^2=p^2c^2+m^2c^4

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that E should be kinetic energy + rest energy, so I calculate rest energy first.

rest energy = mc^2= (1.67*10^-27)*(3*10^8)^2 = 939.57 MeV. total E=939.57+800=1739.57 MeV

Plug and chug and solve for p. m^2c^4=.1414MeV (this seems wrong)

(1739.57)^2-.1414 = 3026103.644 MeV, divide that by (3*10^8)^2 and take the root to get p, which comes out to be 5.7985*10^-6. My answer needs to be in GeV, so it seems that I'm off by a factor of 40. I've been doing physics homework all day so my brain is fried and I've been beating my head against a wall for the last hour trying to solve this problem. I know that I'm missing something stupid, but I just can't see what it is. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Scratch this one, I got it!

Related to Determining momentum from energy?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and it is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum related to energy?

Momentum and energy are closely related. In fact, momentum is a component of the total energy of a system, along with potential and kinetic energy.

3. How can momentum be determined from energy?

In order to determine momentum from energy, you can use the equation p = √(2mE), where p is momentum, m is mass, and E is energy. This equation is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

4. What are the units of momentum and energy?

In the SI system, momentum is measured in kilogram meters per second (kg·m/s) and energy is measured in joules (J).

5. How is momentum used in real-life applications?

Momentum is used in many real-life applications, such as in sports (e.g. calculating the momentum of a baseball or a hockey puck), transportation (e.g. determining the momentum of a car in a collision), and in scientific research (e.g. analyzing the momentum of particles in particle accelerators).