Determining ω_p for a certain state?

• Thread starter mgcornea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, the conversation discusses the quantum mechanical harmonic oscillator and its energy eigenstates and eigenvalues. The state of a particle in this potential is given at t=0. The task at hand is to determine the angular frequency for the probability density of a superposition of two energy eigenstates and how it is related to the frequency of the harmonic oscillator potential. The first step towards solving this problem is to find the probability density function, which can be done by looking up the wavefunctions of the harmonic oscillator.
mgcornea

Homework Statement

"Consider the quantum mechanical harmonic oscillator. Let the energy eigenstates and eigenvalues of this system be given by |ψ_n> and E_n = (n + 1/2)ħω, respectively.

At t=0, the state of a particle in this potential is given by: |ψ_a> = 1/√2 (|ψ_0> + |ψ_1>)

Determine ω_p (angular frequency for the probability density of a superposition of two energy eigenstates) for |ψ_a>. How is it related to ω, the frequency of the harmonic oscillator potential?"

Homework Equations

Only one I can think of is that |ψ_n> ≈ sin(nπx/a), but that's for an infinite square well I think. Other than that I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am not sure even where to start with this. I'm guessing that if we were to find the probability density of |ψ_a> we could then somehow get the angular frequency ω_p? I think a big problem is that I'm not sure how we would connect an energy eigenvalue and eigenstate. Also I'm not really sure how the frequency of the harmonic oscillator potential comes into play...

Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: Determining ω_p for a certain state?

What is ω_p in scientific terms?

ω_p, or the plasma frequency, is the frequency at which charged particles in a plasma oscillate collectively.

How is ω_p determined for a certain state?

ω_p can be determined by measuring the density of the plasma and the charge of the particles within it.

Why is determining ω_p important?

Determining ω_p is important because it is a fundamental property of a plasma and can provide valuable information about its behavior and interactions with external fields.

Can ω_p change for a certain state?

Yes, ω_p can change depending on the physical conditions of the plasma, such as temperature and density. It can also be affected by the presence of external fields or particles.

How does ω_p relate to other plasma parameters?

ω_p is related to other plasma parameters such as the Debye length and the plasma frequency of individual particles. It also plays a role in determining the plasma frequency of electromagnetic waves in a plasma.

Back