Determining Order of Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the order of a differential equation and the possibility of reducing the order through substitution. The given DE is of third order and can be reduced to a second order DE with a substitution, but solving it may not be easy.
ineedhelpnow
Hello. I can't seem to remember how to do these kind of problems. I need to determine the order of the differential equations. Can someone show how this is done so that I can understand how to do the rest?

$\d{^2y}{x^2}+2\d{y}{x} \d{^3y}{x^3}+x=0$

Physics news on Phys.org
The order of a DE is the order of the highest derivative present in the DE. What order is that?

Three. Got it. Thanks.

Last edited:
ineedhelpnow said:
Hello. I can't seem to remember how to do these kind of problems. I need to determine the order of the differential equations. Can someone show how this is done so that I can understand how to do the rest?

$\d{^2y}{x^2}+2\d{y}{x} \d{^3y}{x^3}+x=0$

The DE is of third order, of course... but with the substitution $\displaystyle y^{'} = u$ it becomes...

$\displaystyle u^{\ '} + 2\ u\ u^{\ ''} + x = 0\ (1)$

... which is of order two... solving (1) however is a different and not necessarly trivial task...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

ineedhelpnow said:
Three. Got it. Thanks.

You got it! Although:

chisigma said:
The DE is of third order, of course... but with the substitution $\displaystyle y^{'} = u$ it becomes...

$\displaystyle u^{\ '} + 2\ u\ u^{\ ''} + x = 0\ (1)$

... which is of order two... solving (1) however is a different and not necessarly trivial task...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

You see what chisigma is getting at? Essentially, you can reduce the order of the DE with a substitution. This is generally possible when the function itself, $y$, is not present in the DE.

FAQ: Determining Order of Differential Equations

1. What is the purpose of determining the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation tells us the number of derivatives present in the equation. This is important because it helps us determine the type of solution that is needed to solve the equation.

2. How do you determine the order of a differential equation?

To determine the order of a differential equation, count the highest derivative present in the equation. This will be the order of the equation.

3. Can a differential equation have a fractional order?

Yes, a differential equation can have a fractional order. This means that the equation contains fractional derivatives, which are derivatives of non-integer order.

4. Why is it important to know the order of a differential equation before solving it?

The order of a differential equation helps us choose the appropriate method for solving it. Different orders require different techniques, so knowing the order helps us solve the equation more efficiently.

5. Can a differential equation have a negative order?

No, a differential equation cannot have a negative order. The order of an equation must be a positive integer or a fraction greater than zero.

Back