Determining <r> for the hydrogen atom

In summary, to determine the expectation value <r> for the normalized n=3, l=2, m=0 wavefunction, you can use the equation <r>=∫0∞ rP(r)dr, where P(r)=r2R(r)R*(r). There are two ways to find the normalization constant for R(r): 1) by setting the integral of P(r) over all possible values equal to 1, or 2) by calculating <r> as ∫0∞ rP(r)dr divided by ∫0∞ P(r)dr, which will cancel out the normalization constant.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

The equation for the normalized ##n=3##, ##l=2##, ##m=0## wavefunction is given by $$\psi_{320}=\frac{1}{81\sqrt{6\pi}}\left(\frac{1}{a_0}\right)^{3/2}\left(\frac{1}{a_0^2}\right)r^2e^{-\frac{r}{3a_0}}(3cos^2\theta-1)e^{i\phi}$$
Determine the expectation value ##<r>##.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
##<r>## can be found using the equation ##<r>=\int_0^{\infty} rP(r)dr## where ##P(r)=r^2R(r)R^*(r)##, now I know that ##R(r)## will contain the parts of ##\psi## that are functions of ##r## but I'm not sure as to how I can find the normalization constant for it. In other words I have ##R(r)=Cr^2e^{-\frac{r}{3a_0}}## where C is the constant I must somehow determine. I'm not quite sure where to go from here and I can't seem to find a textbook where they go over calculating these (checked Griffiths and a few others).

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two ways to go about doing that.
1) if you want to determine the normalization constant, you have the fact that the integral of the distribution over all possible values must 1, i.e.
$$ \int_0^\infty P(r) dr = 1 $$
Use this integral to solve for C.

2) Again, using the fact that the integral of the distribution is one, you can calculate
$$ <r> = \int_0^\infty rP(r)dr = \frac{\int_0^\infty rP(r)dr }{\int_0^\infty P(r)dr} $$
and the normalization constant will cancel out completely.

Likes Potatochip911
Brian T said:
There are two ways to go about doing that.
1) if you want to determine the normalization constant, you have the fact that the integral of the distribution over all possible values must 1, i.e.
$$ \int_0^\infty P(r) dr = 1 $$
Use this integral to solve for C.

2) Again, using the fact that the integral of the distribution is one, you can calculate
$$ <r> = \int_0^\infty rP(r)dr = \frac{\int_0^\infty rP(r)dr }{\int_0^\infty P(r)dr} $$
and the normalization constant will cancel out completely.
Thanks I managed to get ##<r>=\frac{21}{2}a_0## which matched the answer I saw on a website.

Related to Determining <r> for the hydrogen atom

1. What is the value of for the hydrogen atom?

The value of for the hydrogen atom is approximately 0.529 Å (angstroms) or 52.9 picometers (pm).

2. How is determined for the hydrogen atom?

for the hydrogen atom is determined using the Bohr model, which takes into account the energy levels and angular momentum of the electron in the hydrogen atom. The equation for is derived from the Bohr radius and the principal quantum number.

3. Why is important in studying the hydrogen atom?

is important in studying the hydrogen atom because it represents the average distance between the electron and the nucleus. This value is used to calculate other important properties of the hydrogen atom, such as the ionization energy and the energy levels.

4. Does the value of change for different energy levels in the hydrogen atom?

Yes, the value of changes for different energy levels in the hydrogen atom. As the energy level increases, the electron moves further away from the nucleus, resulting in a larger value of .

5. How does the value of for the hydrogen atom compare to other atoms?

The value of for the hydrogen atom is smaller compared to other atoms, as it only has one electron. In general, the value of increases as the number of protons in the nucleus increases, resulting in a stronger attraction between the nucleus and the electrons.