Determining Spontaneity in the Reaction COCl2(g) -> CO(g)+Cl2(g)

• Thread starter lha08
  • Start date
In summary: S which you can compare to ΔH.In summary, the reaction COCl2(g) --> CO(g)+Cl2(g) will become spontaneous at a temperature range bounded by ΔG=0 and any temperature at which the components are eliminated, such as their boiling or dissociation temperatures. To determine whether the temperature will be above or below this range, additional information such as enthalpy and entropy of formation for each species is needed.
lha08
COCl2(g) --> CO(g)+Cl2(g)

Homework Statement

Consider the reaction carried out at 25 degrees celsius and 1 atm: COCl2(g)-->CO(g)+Cl2(g)
In what temperature range will the reaction become (or not become) spontaneous?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
My hunch is that i have to use ΔG=ΔH-TΔS and set ΔG equal to zero but then I'm not sure how am i supposed to get a temperature range...help please!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your hunch is correct. The temperature range would be bounded by ΔG=0 and also any temperature at which the components are eliminated: e.g., the boiling temperature of the gases, the dissociation temperature of CO, etc. I'm not sure any of these will be relevant, but it might explain why there's a limited temperature range.

Mapes said:
Your hunch is correct. The temperature range would be bounded by ΔG=0 and also any temperature at which the components are eliminated: e.g., the boiling temperature of the gases, the dissociation temperature of CO, etc. I'm not sure any of these will be relevant, but it might explain why there's a limited temperature range.

How do we know whether the temperature will be above or below that of the temperature that is bounded by ΔG=0?

I don't know. It's something you have to check, just as if you were designing an industrial process to run the reaction.

I think you'll need extra information, especially the enthalpy of formation for each species, or the entropy of formation. then you can find T

Related to Determining Spontaneity in the Reaction COCl2(g) -> CO(g)+Cl2(g)

What is the chemical equation for COCl2(g) -> CO(g)+Cl2(g)?

The chemical equation for COCl2(g) -> CO(g)+Cl2(g) is a representation of a chemical reaction involving carbon monoxide (CO), chlorine gas (Cl2), and phosgene (COCl2).

What type of reaction is COCl2(g) -> CO(g)+Cl2(g)?

COCl2(g) -> CO(g)+Cl2(g) is a decomposition reaction, as it breaks down a single compound (COCl2) into two separate elements (CO and Cl2).

What are the physical states of the reactants and products in the reaction COCl2(g) -> CO(g)+Cl2(g)?

The reactant, COCl2, is a gas, while the products, CO and Cl2, are also gases. This means that the reaction takes place in the gas phase.

What are the conditions necessary for the reaction COCl2(g) -> CO(g)+Cl2(g) to occur?

The reaction requires energy in the form of heat or light to break the bonds in COCl2 and form the products, CO and Cl2. It also typically occurs at high temperatures and in the presence of a catalyst.

What are some practical applications of the reaction COCl2(g) -> CO(g)+Cl2(g)?

COCl2(g) -> CO(g)+Cl2(g) is used in the production of polyurethane foam, as well as in the synthesis of various organic compounds. It is also used in the manufacture of dyes and pesticides.