Determining stability about a critical point using eigenfunctions

In summary: Then you can substitute this into the system of equations and solve for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pendulum with a defined differential equation and asks for help with linearizing the nonlinear system and determining stability around critical points. The attempt at a solution involves using eigenfunctions and partial derivatives, but the person is unsure of how to proceed. They are looking for tips on linearizing the function and determining its eigenvalues.
ProdofChem
I admit I am a bit out of practice when it comes to DiffEq. I think I am either forgetting a simple step or getting my methods mixed up.

Homework Statement

The problem concerns a pendulum defined by

d2θ/dt2 + (c/mL)(dθ/dt) + (g/L)sinθ = 0
where m=1, L=1, c=0.5, and of course g=9.8

After converting the DE to a first order system:

set x = θ and y = x' so that
dx/dt = y
dy/dt = -9.8sinx - 0.5y

And identifying critical points:

(n∏,0) where n is an integer

I am asked to linearize the nonlinear system and determine stability about the critical points. If i can get some help with the first point, I should be able to figure out the others.

Homework Equations

dx/dt = y
dy/dt = -9.8sinx - 0.5y

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been rummaging through my notes on eigenfunctions and am more or less at a loss how an eigenvalue determines stability. I think I want to take the partial derivatives of the system and evaluate at the point (0,0)...

fx(dy/dt) = -9.8cosx
fy(dy/dt) = -0.5
fx(dx/dt) = 0
fy(dx/dt) = 1

evaluated @ (0,0):
fx(dy/dt) = -9.8
fy(dy/dt) = -0.5
fx(dx/dt) = 0
fy(dx/dt) = 1

But I'm not sure why I care or how to proceed to determine the stability about that point.

Clarification: I would like some tips on how to linearize my function and how to get it into the form with which I can determine its eigenvalues ( A-lambda)v=0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Expand sin x as a first-order Taylor polynomial. That's the linear approximation of sin x.

Related to Determining stability about a critical point using eigenfunctions

1. How do eigenfunctions help determine stability about a critical point?

Eigenfunctions are mathematical functions that represent the behavior of a system around a critical point. By analyzing the eigenfunctions, we can determine the behavior of the system and its stability at the critical point.

2. What is the critical point in this context?

The critical point refers to a point in a mathematical function where the derivative is equal to zero. This point is important in determining the stability of the system.

3. What is the relationship between eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues are the constants that scale the eigenfunctions. They are important in determining the stability of a system because they represent the rate of change of the system at the critical point.

4. How is the stability of a critical point determined using eigenfunctions?

The stability of a critical point can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the eigenfunctions at that point. If the eigenfunctions are oscillatory or decaying, the critical point is stable. If the eigenfunctions are growing or diverging, the critical point is unstable.

5. Can eigenfunctions be used to determine the direction of change at a critical point?

Yes, eigenfunctions can also provide information about the direction of change at a critical point. The sign of the eigenfunctions can indicate whether the system is moving towards or away from the critical point.