Determining State of Matter for a Compound

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of memorizing information in chemistry and how it is often left up to the individual to deduce the correct answer in exams. The specific question being discussed is which substance is a gas at 20 degrees Celsius and one atmosphere of pressure, with the answer being O3 (ozone). The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the properties and characteristics of substances in order to make logical deductions, rather than simply relying on memorization.
rmccabe916
Recently, I have been studying for a chemistry placement exam for college. On the sample exam (which I have been studying with), one of the questions asks, "Which of the following substances is a gas at 20 degrees Celsius and one atmosphere of pressure?

A.) O3

B.) C

C.) I2

D.) Ca

The answer to the question was O3, but I really don't know why. Is this some kind of given that needs to be memorized, or do I need to do some work to get to the answer? (I can reason out Ca though.)

Thanks for your help,

Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
rmccabe916 said:
(snip) --- needs to be memorized --- (snip)

This is what used to be called "descriptive chemistry" --- knowing a few things --- has fallen by the wayside in the textbook business. You'll get a little in Greenwood & Earnshaw, or Cotton & Wilkinson (upper level inorganic), but pretty much left to fend for yourself otherwise.

So I'll have to "guess" if I see another question like this that I don't know on the real placement exam? :frown:

Last edited:
You just need to show a little knowlage about what each substance is and a logical deduction of the answer, it wouldn't supprise me if the real marks in such a question are for explaining why you chose your answer rather than the answer itself.

O3 is of course Ozone, and you can state a little about what it is and where its found ( including at photocopying machines, where it can be smelled as a strange "fresh air" type smell, which is one of those facts you pick up and don't seem to forget ). You can deduce that its likley to be a gas at thos conditions because its found in the atmosphere as a gas.

Then you could eplain away the others by contradiction, solids or liquids under the stated conditions, giving examples.

In most tests a periodic table is given, and you could also say a little about what information you can get from that to help add weight to your argument.

Its entirley dependent on how much effort/reward there is for the question imo.

Recently, I have been studying for a chemistry placement exam for college. On the sample exam (which I have been studying with), one of the questions asks, "Which of the following substances is a gas at 20 degrees Celsius and one atmosphere of pressure?

A.) O3
The question is basically asking which is a gas at near standard conditions (e.g. room temperature and pressure), you need to read into the question; that is think things through. Ozone should stick out right away since you know it is an actual Earth gas. Niether carbon nor calcium makes sense, calcium gas consist of its ion constituents, while carbon conforms itself to tetravalent structures. I would have questioned I2 though it's not like chlorine gas in the sense that it is higher in molecular weight, and thus it may be a liquid at STP. However, I believe that it's an exception mentioned in almost all chemistry texts.

Related to Determining State of Matter for a Compound

1. What is the state of matter for a compound?

The state of matter for a compound refers to whether it exists as a solid, liquid, or gas at a given temperature and pressure.

2. How is the state of matter determined for a compound?

The state of matter for a compound is determined by its physical properties, such as melting point, boiling point, and density, at a specific temperature and pressure.

3. What factors can affect the state of matter for a compound?

The state of matter for a compound can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the intermolecular forces between its molecules.

4. Can a compound exist in multiple states of matter?

Yes, a compound can exist in multiple states of matter depending on the temperature and pressure conditions. For example, water can exist as a solid (ice), liquid, or gas (water vapor).

5. How does the state of matter for a compound impact its chemical properties?

The state of matter for a compound can impact its chemical properties, such as reactivity and solubility, as different states allow for different types of chemical interactions.